We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on visiting Yosemite, Sequoia then Grand Canyon

Which Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tampa, Florida...
Advice on visiting Yosemite, Sequoia then Grand Canyon

We are planning a late August trip with 4 kids (ages 6-14) for 10 days (2 on a plane getting there). My question is to experienced folks about the reality of doing that. Best place to fly in and out? Cheaper places to stay (including camping options)? How much time are we talking in between each place (and most scenic route) and where to stay in each place. I've been told already to spend most time at Yosemite and Sequoia then 1 day at Grand Canyon. Alot of questions that I have/am researching but looking for anyone who can speak to 1 or all of these questions.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
reviews: 74
1. Re: Advice on visiting Yosemite, Sequoia then Grand Canyon

Hi Elyce, and welcome to TripAdvisor forums.

This forum is just about Sequoia - Kings Canyon NP.

If you don't have any reservations yet, you really need to get moving! Maybe you can post on the California state forum first, and we can help you with overall itinerary planning.

Las Vegas, Nevada
reviews: 48
2. Re: Advice on visiting Yosemite, Sequoia then Grand Canyon

Sequoia and Yosemite are great to do together as they are only a few hours apart. GCNP is a different story, it is about a 12 hour drive from Yosemite to GCNP. If you really want to include it in the trip you could break up the trip by stopping in Las Vegas. GCNP really deserves more then one day.

I agree with Pacific you need to get looking at reservations, this will determine when you visit which park.

IMO it is always best to stay in the parks if you can.

Just a trip idea, fly into Vegas stay the night rent car. Drive to sequoia (8 hour drive)stay 2 nights. Drive to Yosemite (4 hour drive) stay 3 nights. Drive back to Las Vegas by way of Death Valley. Stay night in

Vegas. Drive to Grand Canyon (5hours drive) stay a night at GCNP. Head back to Vegas, stay night. Fly home.

If I counted right that is 9 nights.

Other trip idea would be to fly into SF and just do Sequoia and Yosemite. Leave GCNP for another time. Than I would do night SF, 3 nights Sequoia, 4 nights Yosemite, night SF home.

Edited: 12:49 pm, June 24, 2013
Houston, TX
reviews: 25
3. Re: Advice on visiting Yosemite, Sequoia then Grand Canyon

You've left it very late to try to get reservations for GCNP for this August--they accept reservations a year in advance and are usually full for the summer months. Check online ASAP for lodging within the park. If there is anything take it right away--there is a generous cancellation policy. Because of that, and because people have to book so far in advance, cancellations do occur. Once you have a place booked, keep checking for cancellations. The best way to do this is to call--the cancellations often don't show up on the website--they get snapped up by some lucky phone caller before they make it back online. If nothing is available within the park, check for Tusayan, AZ, the small gateway town at the southern entrance. There are 5 or 6 places there, but you may find the same lack of availability there. Good luck.

4. Re: Advice on visiting Yosemite, Sequoia then Grand Canyon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, June 26, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Sequoia and Kings...