We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One late afternoon to see the sequoias?

Which Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Norwich, Connecticut
One late afternoon to see the sequoias?

We'll be leaving Dodger Stadium area of LA at noon. Will it be at all worth the miles to drive up to Sequoia National Park to see General Sherman tree that afternoon/evening, spending the night in Visalia, then resuming our travels along the coast to Monterey? Trip is in early August, so we could have enough daylight. Family isn't really hikers, Congress Trail would suffice if had the time. How delusional is this idea?

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
reviews: 51
1. Re: One late afternoon to see the sequoias?

Depending on traffic, could be a 6 hour drive or more to get to Gen. Sherman tree area. That would give you may be 2 hours to explore. Not ideal, but if is all the time you have. Sequoia is a beautiful magical place. I am always amazed how may travelers miss out on exploring it.

2. Re: One late afternoon to see the sequoias?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 4:57 pm, June 22, 2013
Edited: 4:57 pm, June 22, 2013
Fortaleza, CE
reviews: 378
3. Re: One late afternoon to see the sequoias?

Info missing: how much time do you have overall for the trip to Monterey, and where on the coast do you intend to resume your originally-planned itinerary? Right now we're being asked if it's worthwhile to spend a couple of hours in the park. You don't say what, if anything, you'd give up to do this. You would be doing a lot of driving over not very scenic territory to see Sequoia/KC. I am referring both to the drive to the parks, and on to the coast (to wherever you are going). http://goo.gl/maps/feFT0

Would I do it? Probably not, since there's so much to see on the coast (e.g., coastal redwoods near Monterey), and I know the scenery along the way to and from the parks is fairly uninteresting. I'd hesitate especially if I had to spend the night in Visalia for such a brief visit (if I could stay inside Sequoia or KC, it'd make a difference, and there is lodging in both). But that's quite another thing from saying it's "delusional," as in it's not possible. It is possible. The decision is yours.

Edited: 4:57 pm, June 22, 2013
Norwich, Connecticut
4. Re: One late afternoon to see the sequoias?

We have two days (Thursday noon to Saturday noon) to travel from LA to San Francisco. The idea is to see the sequoias, stay Thursday night in Visalia (just because it is heading us in the right direction), then head to Moro Bay in the early morning to drive the Pacific Coast Highway to Monterey (Friday night). Leave Monterey in time to get to San Francisco for noon. We'll have some time in Muir Woods later in the trip, so we will see some redwoods. So what would we be missing due to the trip to Sequoia? More beaches and coastal towns? These two days would be the most driving we'd be doing in our ten day visit. It is daunting, but that's where the giant trees are. Any other suggestions for those two travel days (family includes two teenagers) are welcome. Thanks so much for the advice

Fortaleza, CE
reviews: 378
5. Re: One late afternoon to see the sequoias?

Something like this? http://goo.gl/maps/Gcr66 Yes, you would hit the best of Highway 1 (I believe it's called the PCH just further south), but the question is how rushed you'd be. I think it'd be too very busy days without much time to stop in Sequoia/KC or on Highway 1 (e.g. no San Simeon). It depends on your priorities. It is doable. Would I do it? Probably not. But it's not my trip. I assume it's not possible to get an earlier start from L.A.

Edited: 10:20 am, June 23, 2013
Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
reviews: 51
6. Re: One late afternoon to see the sequoias?

Do you have to stay in Visalia? Is the reservation one you can cancel without penalty? If you can my suggestion is to change that nights stay to one in the park. Wuksachi Lodge would be the best. Enter the park through Three Rivers. Stop at the Sherman Tree area and park. Explore. Ride the shuttle to Moro Rock and climb. Than stop at Giant Forest Museum and Round Meadow. Take the shuttle back to your car and head to the Lodge. In the morning exit through 180 exit towards Fresno. Before you exit the park stop at Grants Grove. You can do a quick look around before heading to Monterey. Once you exit on 180 head towards Fresno. Than 99 to 152, down 1. This will take about 4.5 hours. Have a good trip

Sequoia National...
7. Re: One late afternoon to see the sequoias?

I agree with the previous post - stay at Wuksachi, see what you can, then leave out the 180. It won't be enough time to fully appreciate the parks - but enough time to realize how much you will want to come back with more time to explore. You can also consider the suggested itineraries from the Majestic Mountain Loop, http://www.majesticmountainloop.com/home

Edited: 6:40 pm, June 27, 2013
Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
reviews: 87
8. Re: One late afternoon to see the sequoias?

I agree about doing this - it's so worth it. People are missing out on so much by not visiting this park, so if you are at all inclined and willing - do it! But pay a little extra and stay at Wuksachi (I suppose you could make up the cost by going to the Lodgepole store and building your own continental breakfast).

Sequoia at night is one of the most amazing places in the world and I wish I could be there every night.

9. Re: One late afternoon to see the sequoias?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 01, 2014