We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trip report

Which Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
florida
reviews: 57
trip report

Just did nearly 3 weeks with the family through parts of Nevada and most of Calf. and without a doubt the highlight was Sequoia and Kings National parks.

Stayed in Three Rivers at the Holiday Inn which was a fine choice for us. Rather new, clean, comfortable rooms and within easy striking distance to the parks. I do wish someone would have mentioned that the winding roads into the park from there are more "fun" than the coasters at Disney. Geez, anyone ever heard of an easement or guard rail before? After the first days drive I had to peel my hands off the steering wheel of the rented "not so" mini- van. Luckily I got more adept at it on the other 2 days. Seriously though...what views. I wouldn't have changed the route even if I could have (although my daughter might disagree as she gets car sick, but even she loved it).

We would stock up on supplies every morning at the small local market next to the hotel (great sandwiches, fresh fruit, drinks for the cooler) and come back at night to the hotel to do it again the next day (sorry, not good enough yet to drive it at night, maybe next time).

My only disappointment was that due to some recent health issues, we couldn't explore and hike as much as we would have liked. We did do all the trails in the giant forest (twice, figured it was worth seeing the largest living things on the planet more than once), climbed to the top of Moro rock (man what views), did the visitor centers, hiked along the rapids of the river and picnicked by same, saw the caves, the canyons, waterfalls, cliffs, saw a bear, several deer, etc. etc. etc. What a magnificant place and the awe you feel when next to the giant sequoias is almost spiritual.

After we left the area our next stop was Yosemite, but even with it's beauty, it doesn't compare to Sequoia (and least not in our opinions). Hope you enjoy it as much as we did and take care of it as it would be a terrible place to lose. As your govenor would say....we'll be back!

California
reviews: 2
1. Re: trip report

Glad you liked it! I love Sequoia too. We spent two nights at Wuksachi last summer before heading off to three nights in Yosemite and I think our family enjoyed the two about equally. If you can get a reservation and it's in your budget I'd reccomend others do try to stay in the park becasue the drive in and out is steep and windy. Carsickness was also an issue for my kids, both going in/out of the park and the drive into King's Canyon.

reviews: 14
2. Re: trip report

Wow. That sounded great. I have not been to Sequoia or Kings Canyon in years (OK, decades) and it made me want to go...

Philadelphia
reviews: 4
3. Re: trip report

I just found this post on the Sequoia forum - I replied to your Yosemite posting. I'm so glad to hear how much you loved Sequoia! It just confirms my decision to go there.

4. Re: trip report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:23 am, August 14, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Sequoia and Kings...