We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much can we see/ access with an RV ?

Which Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
sydney
reviews: 75
How much can we see/ access with an RV ?

We have 8 days in an RV in September from 13th, leaving LA hoping to visit Sequoia ,Kings Canyon and Yosemite National Parks then driving along the Tioga Pass to Mammoth Lakes and if possible to Joshua Tree National Park back to LA......a bit of a loop???

Just starting researching and it seems we will have trouble accessing Sequoia because of the RV length ????

Would welcome any suggestions /Alternate routes for an RV and things to see in Sequoia and Kings Canyon and how many days we should spend in each.

We have three children aged 12,14,14.

Monterey, California
reviews: 22
1. Re: How much can we see/ access with an RV ?

Hopefully your RV is less than 22 feet.........

Vehicle Restrictions

Please read important park alerts by clicking the red tab above before you come to the parks.

Plan for road construction delays in Sequoia National Park. See construction schedule and map of location.

LENGTH LIMITS AND ADVISORIES

NEW! Vehicles Entering/Exiting Sequoia National Park via Generals Highway (the Main Road through the Parks) and Hwy 198

Vehicles longer than the recommendations listed below will likely cross the double yellow line. Drivers will be held responsible for any hazardous conditions caused by their actions. Follow the recommendations below for your safety and the safety of others:

Vehicles longer than 22 feet (6.7056 meters) are not recommended between Potwisha Campground and the Giant Forest Museum in Sequoia National Park.

Vehicles longer than 24 feet (7.3152 meters) are not recommended between the Foothills Visitor Center and Potwisha Campground in Sequoia National Park.

The section of the Generals Highway leading to and from the "Big Trees" in Giant Forest was built from 1921-1926. As a result, the road was not constructed to accommodate longer vehicles.

Crystal Cave Road Length Limit

Single vehicles longer than 22 feet (6.7 m) are prohibited. Open during cave tour season, May through late November, weather permitting.

Mineral King Road Length Warning

Extremely narrow and winding road. Open May through October, weather permitting.

Moro Rock/Crescent Meadow Road Length Limit

Single vehicles longer than 22 feet (6.7 m) and towed units are prohibited during shuttle operation season, May through Labor Day weekend. Closes with snow.

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
reviews: 22
2. Re: How much can we see/ access with an RV ?

Longer RVs need to enter on CA 180 through Grant Grove. You will find many other RVers in the campgrounds in Sequoia and Kings Canyon (SEKI).

sydney
reviews: 75
3. Re: How much can we see/ access with an RV ?

Thanks for that, I had read that and we will probably be 28ft, so that's why I was enquiring where we would be able to access with a larger RV, as I think the shuttles will have stopped when we are there in September.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
reviews: 87
4. Re: How much can we see/ access with an RV ?

You will be able to get (via 180) to Lodgepole, General Sherman area and the History Center area. You will not be able to drive to Crescent/Log Meadow or Moro Rock. You can hike to Moro Rock from the History Center (it's about 2-3 miles, a lovely hike, but round trip at altitude, plus the rock, might take some time - don't know your hiking ability).

You can also walk from the General Sherman area to the Log Meadow and back (really worth it and probably a much prettier hike than Moro Rock). The Congress trail to Log Meadow is simply breathtaking.

Other accessible places include Round Meadow and Lodgepole itself, of course, where the kids will enjoy sticking their feet in the creek at the beach near the bridge (the rangers will have it posted if you're not to go in - generally it's about a foot deep, rather cold, with beautiful small gravel on the bottom, little fish, etc.)

I do not think they allow anything longer than 22 feet on the Crescent Meadow road at any time of year. You can call the number on the park page for more info, but I'm pretty sure that's how it's posted. I think it's posted "not recommended for any RV's or cars with trailers," and I would definitely take their advice.

5. Re: How much can we see/ access with an RV ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, May 05, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Sequoia and Kings...