We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sequoia in May 1-2 day plan advice, lodging

Which Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
United States
reviews: 3
Sequoia in May 1-2 day plan advice, lodging

We will be coming to Sequoia in mid May from Yosemite.

We may be around Yosemite for half a day (depends on whether we would feel we did enough) and then go to Sequoia and plan lodging there for a night. Question is whether that would be enough.

We want to see the Sequoia forest, General Sherman, do the scenic drive down Kings Canyon (I know it is open for day only at the moment) and possibly some rivers around.

Am I missing something there (we are not the hiking type) ?

Would that be enough to do in 2 days (leave at around 18:00 the day after) ?

Currently I am thinking of Wuksachi lodge which will get us in proximity of things there, however it is quite pricey.

Is there a good enough alternative inside or in close proximity to things onsite ?

Thanks in advance for any input,

David

Las Vegas, Nevada
reviews: 48
1. Re: Sequoia in May 1-2 day plan advice, lodging

Did I read it correctly that you will be in Yosemite for half a day? You need to post in the Yosemite forum and ask a few questions. Half a day is not enough time for anything really.

As for Sequoia, 2 full days is fine for what you mention you want to see. On the day you drive to Kings Canyon stop at Grants Grove visitor center and visit the tree grove there. Than head down into Kings Canyon. Be sure to stop at Grizzly Falls just off the road to your right. Contine on to Zumwalt Meadow and Roaring River Falls.

On the other day head to the Lodgepole Visitor Center, than hit the General Sherman tree area. Walk the Congress Trail and just enjoy walking with the trees. Head to Moro Rock and walk the stairs up to the most amazing view you can get without hiking. Go to the Giant Forest Museum and Round Meadow.

The Lodge is your best option for lodging in Sequoia.

United States
2. Re: Sequoia in May 1-2 day plan advice, lodging

Cheers Norgetroll, thanks for the input.

Regarding Yosemite, we will be there 2 full days before Sequia, my point was that the first day in Sequoia may be only an half day as you may be wanting to spend a bit of the morning in Yosemite still.

I think that our plan should be doable in 1.5 days. It's a shame there's no real alternative to Wuksachi, they are quite pricey.

Monterey, California
reviews: 22
3. Re: Sequoia in May 1-2 day plan advice, lodging

You can stay at Stony Creek Lodge. Just checked availability and $.......105.oo

So Cal
reviews: 64
4. Re: Sequoia in May 1-2 day plan advice, lodging

There're also the Grant Grove cabins and John Muir Lodge, both at Grant Grove. The cabins are very basic (too basic for many people, but I've enjoyed my stays), the Lodge appears to be a nice motel, pricy but not quite as much as Wuksachi. Whether or not the GG area works better for you than Wuksachi might depend on your final schedule. It's about a 45-60min drive between the two; the road is fine, but perhaps best done in daylight. If it were me, after driving from Yosemite then driving down into Kings Canyon and back up all in the same day, I think I'd be happy to see my bed rather than face another mountain forest drive.

Official GGC/JML lodging website www.sequoia-kingscanyon.com/lodging.html

Edited: 4:05 pm, April 26, 2013
Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
reviews: 87
5. Re: Sequoia in May 1-2 day plan advice, lodging

Wuksachi is my favorite and closer to the things you probably want to see. Opposite the History Center is another good view spot - Beetle Rock. Next to Beetle Rock is an old growth sequoia forest with downed trees that you can scramble on top of, and the occasional deer or bear wandering through. Squirrels (both golden mantel - which some people think are chipmunks - and gray squirrels) may be around, as well as chipmunks.

But Beetle Rock is a great place to just chill out enjoy the views (and think about what humans down below are up to with all their cars and smoke).

The Lodgepole Creek is wonderful to look at this time of year (don't go in unless you check with rangers at Lodgepole - there's a section near the bridge that almost never has rushing water, but do check - even when it's really really cold, it's fun to get your feet and ankles wet - don't go swimming!) What is fun is the total clarity of the water, the beauty of the stones under the water and the occasional fishes going by (and the number of birds that are nesting nearby). It's in a pine and cedar forest.

United States
6. Re: Sequoia in May 1-2 day plan advice, lodging

Thanks for the tip guys. I've booked Wukasachi but also found a place at Montecito for less than half the price.

How's Montecito in terms of distance in the park ?

Fortaleza, CE
reviews: 360
7. Re: Sequoia in May 1-2 day plan advice, lodging

You're going to spend the morning in Yosemite and then drive to Sequoia/Kings Canyon, thus you feel you'd have 1/2 day in S/KC? It may take 4 hours to drive from Yosemite Valley to Giant Forest, so that day you may have pretty much just the evening in S/KC. Hope you get down to Cedar Grove, at the bottom of the Kings River canyon, in KC, not just up at Grant Grove.

Monterey, California
reviews: 22
8. Re: Sequoia in May 1-2 day plan advice, lodging

Here's the map.......

nps.gov/seki/…SEKImap3_DrivingMap.pdf

So Cal
reviews: 64
9. Re: Sequoia in May 1-2 day plan advice, lodging

If you mean Montecito Sequoia Lodge, it's about a quarter/third of the way from GG on the road to Lodgepole and Wuksachi. The road between the Giant Forest (Sequoia NP) and Grant Grove (Kings Canyon NP) areas runs in and out of the national parks and surrounding national forest; Montecito and Stoney Creek are both in the national forest. Montecito is a family camp, but can probably still work for a park visit. You wouldn't be in walking distance of anything, though.

10. Re: Sequoia in May 1-2 day plan advice, lodging

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, May 01, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Sequoia and Kings...