We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grant Grove Cabins

Which Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Las Vegas, Nevada
reviews: 47
Grant Grove Cabins

Instead of camping at Lodgepole this summer we were thinking of staying at Grant Grove. Only thing left is Tent Cabin, Hard top. Wonderd if anyone has experience with these. Is there a place for you to cook outside on your own camp stove? Place for campfire? I have looked at photos but all seem to be of cabins.

Fortaleza, CE
reviews: 379
1. Re: Grant Grove Cabins

From the text and photos at www.sequoia-kingscanyon.com/cabins.html I gather that they in fact have wooden sides and canvas tops (not like those at Camp Curry, etc. in Yosemite). "They feature a canvas roof and a shared central bathhouse." I'd assume you cannot cook or have an open fire outside each cabin, due to fire hazards, but there may be a central area you could do this. It would be best to phone them at 866 K Canyon. You certainly aren't the first person to ask them.

Edited: 1:36 pm, April 15, 2013
Los Angeles...
reviews: 70
2. Re: Grant Grove Cabins

I've stayed in both the tent cabins and the camp cabins. We cooked outside at both - using our propane stove and propane grill. The tent cabins are more spread out than the others.

Las Vegas, Nevada
reviews: 47
3. Re: Grant Grove Cabins

thank you koda, that is what I was wondering about cooking outside the tent. Are there fire pits? Dosen't seem like camping without the camp fire.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
reviews: 87
4. Re: Grant Grove Cabins

I do not think there are any fire pits at the cabins (nor were there any at the now-torn down cabins at Kaweah, which were nearly identical to the ones in KC).

I don't think they allow fires at the picnic areas either (they allow you to use a stove, for sure, but there are no firepits at the picnic areas that I can remember). You could do something redundant such as rent a campsite in the National Forest for one night ($12 or so) and use it until you wanted to go home to bed - but of course it's not the same as getting sleeping next to a campfire.

So Cal
reviews: 63
5. Re: Grant Grove Cabins

Both the tent cabins (canvas top) and camp canvas (solid roof) have picnic tables & benches, campstoves ok. No firepits anywhere.

It was very quiet up there, and dark. Lots of stars!

It's just a short walk or drive to the campground amphitheatre. Sometimes there's an actual campfire with the campfire program :-), if you need your fix.

6. Re: Grant Grove Cabins

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, April 19, 2014