We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Las Vegas from around the Sequoia NP Area

Which Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
United States
reviews: 3
Getting to Las Vegas from around the Sequoia NP Area

Hi,

Apologies if this has been asked in any form. The search here is awful and could not quite find the information I wished for.

We are a couple and will be at the Sequoia NP area at 14th May we wanted to go to Las Vegas from there (we've already been to LA by this point of the trip) and I wanted to know what best method is to get to Las Vegas. We are not quite interested in stopping anywhere in between the two.

I know nearest airport is Fresno, a drive down there, a flight and all things involved is 5 hours (correct me if I am wrong) and more pricey.

Now, as we're already be with a car, we were thinking of driving. Problem is, I am not sure Tioga pass will be open by then. What are the options in that case ? How long will it be ?

Cheers,

David

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
reviews: 59
11. Re: Getting to Las Vegas from around the Sequoia NP Area

You're still on the Sequoia Kings Canyon NP forum.

"Worth it" is such a personal choice. I think DVNP is lovely, dramatic, other-worldly in places, and unique. I'd spend lots more time there than I would in Las Vegas, even tho' that's a unique city. DVNP matches my travel style better.

Thousands of people enjoy a drive-through visit of DVNP. You don't have to get out of your car. You don't have to hike. Of course you experience more if you spend more time, but you can still enjoy a lot from your car. Check the DVNP forum page for more details.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
reviews: 87
12. Re: Getting to Las Vegas from around the Sequoia NP Area

We've made it from Las Vegas to Sequoia since the new route (mentioned above - the 58) opened up from I-15 to Bakersfield in about 6 hours. People drive 80 and 90 mph, though (ahem) and I was in the fast lane, going the same speed as everyone else (about 80 mph I'd say, on average, all the way to Bakersfield). It takes us about 1:30 to get from Bakersfield to our favorite campsites in Sequoia (and that includes stopping for gas and at the park entrance).

It's 4 hours from Bakersfield to Las Vegas via the 58 (and faster if, as I said, you are comfortable with driving in the fast lane - I cannot recommend it, as it is plainly against the law, but it is the road to Vegas and I also cannot advise you to drive in the slow lane with all the big trucks - you'll have to work that out on your own, but if you did drive in the slow lane, it would be 5.5-6.0 hours of driving from Lodgepole, say, to the first Vegas offramp on the strip).

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
reviews: 41
13. Re: Getting to Las Vegas from around the Sequoia NP Area

** “Death Valley isn't worth passing through (from all the parks I saw it seemed the least interesting one) and only worth staying to see things ?” **

Death Valley is a fascinating and magnificent place. I love Death Valley; I work there as a park volunteer and even go there on vacation sometimes when I am not working. But it takes time to really appreciate it because it is about 2/3 the size of Israel. It’s possible to simply drive through enroute to somewhere else and enjoy the landscapes, but you would only see a few of the major places and have to miss some of the most unique natural wonders.

For someone coming from Israel or that general part of the world, Sequoia or Yosemite would probably be more unique and interesting because they are mountain parks with lots of flowers and trees, an abundance of water, and more chances to see large animals. Going to Death Valley might seem to you like “carrying coals to Newcastle.” We even have the lowest point in North America, which doesn’t compare with the elevation at the Dead Sea. But I assure you or anyone who isn’t sure they’d enjoy it, that if you have time to see any of it, you’ll find it to be a beautiful and enjoyable trip.

United States
reviews: 3
14. Re: Getting to Las Vegas from around the Sequoia NP Area

Thanks a lot for the help guys. Your information here has been valuable.

I am afraid this is our first trip to the states and if we want to make it to Grand Canyon and Yellowstone too, we have to give up on something. That is why we Death Valley may be only a place to pass through.

Thank you very much again.

Cheers,

David

15. Re: Getting to Las Vegas from around the Sequoia NP Area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, April 16, 2014