We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Las Vegas from around the Sequoia NP Area

Which Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
United States
reviews: 3
Getting to Las Vegas from around the Sequoia NP Area

Hi,

Apologies if this has been asked in any form. The search here is awful and could not quite find the information I wished for.

We are a couple and will be at the Sequoia NP area at 14th May we wanted to go to Las Vegas from there (we've already been to LA by this point of the trip) and I wanted to know what best method is to get to Las Vegas. We are not quite interested in stopping anywhere in between the two.

I know nearest airport is Fresno, a drive down there, a flight and all things involved is 5 hours (correct me if I am wrong) and more pricey.

Now, as we're already be with a car, we were thinking of driving. Problem is, I am not sure Tioga pass will be open by then. What are the options in that case ? How long will it be ?

Cheers,

David

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
reviews: 59
1. Re: Getting to Las Vegas from around the Sequoia NP Area

Tioga Pass (in Yosemite) will not be open. The best option is to drive around the southern end of the Sierra via Bakersfield. I'd include Death Valley NP in the itinerary but you can skip it if desired.

This page has driving directions and a general map: nps.gov/seki/…driving-directions.htm

United States
2. Re: Getting to Las Vegas from around the Sequoia NP Area

Thank you for the prompt response.

So, through Bakersfield from Sequoia would take only 6.5 hours ? I was under the impression I'm going for over 9 hours drive.

If I get Death Valley in the plan, how long would it take ? Would it be worth just driving through it ?

Palmdale, California
Destination Expert
for California Desert
reviews: 45
3. Re: Getting to Las Vegas from around the Sequoia NP Area

Hello, David, and welcome to the Sequoia/Kings Canyon National Park (SEKI) forum.

Driving to Las Vegas from SEKI will be a long drive. . . 9 hours, 14 minutes and 401.4 miles according to Bing Maps. Here's the link to them, which I find very useful for finding out driving times and distances: http://www.bing.com/maps/

Routing: California State Route 198 west to California State Route 99 south to Bakersfield. California State Route 58 east from Bakersfield to Barstow, where you take Interstate 15 north to Las Vegas.

Tioga Pass on California State Route 120 is not in SEKI, but in Yosemite National Park north of SEKI. Taking Tioga Pass is out of your way, and will not help you get to Las Vegas sooner. A very beautiful drive, though, but not typically open until late May.

Enjoy your travels with us.

-------------------------

Edit: Death Valley National Park would be more time and miles, and I would not combine it with this long of a trip. A day trip from Las Vegas to Death Valley is done all the time, but in your case I would just head for your lodging in Las Vegas.

Edited: 1:55 pm, April 12, 2013
Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
reviews: 22
4. Re: Getting to Las Vegas from around the Sequoia NP Area

Bing is incorrect. Use google maps or the estimate from the NPS in the link Pacific supplied.

Palmdale, California
Destination Expert
for California Desert
reviews: 45
5. Re: Getting to Las Vegas from around the Sequoia NP Area

So noted. According to the information supplied by the National Park Service site link Pacific NW gave, the average speed would be 61 miles an hour with no stops. With Bing Maps, the average speed would be 43 miles an hour, with no stops. Your mileage may vary, of course.

Google maps shows 453 miles and 7 hours, 43 minutes for an average speed of 58 miles an hour. Go figure. . .

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
reviews: 59
6. Re: Getting to Las Vegas from around the Sequoia NP Area

Google Maps had some wildly incorrect speeds when they first came out with their maps. Inside Yosemite NP, some drives averaged 54 mph on 35 mph roads. Google Maps has really been working hard at correcting their times and are now fairly accurate inside that Park.

I think Bing may need to go through some growing pains as they figure out similar issues.

The challenge for many folks is that Google Maps drive time estimates do not include any time for stops. So a 7 hour drive might actually be 8 or 9 hours if you need gasoline, food, or time to stretch your legs.

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
reviews: 22
7. Re: Getting to Las Vegas from around the Sequoia NP Area

The route I would use from Sequoia to Vegas would be Hwy 58 from Bakersfield to I-15 at Barstow. That shows on google maps as being 390 miles, 6 hrs 40 min of driving time. These are fast roads. In fact once you get down to Three Rivers, the roads are pretty fast all the way to Vegas. It's also very boring.

If it were my trip, I'd spend a few more hours and go the Death Valley route. I'd also take 178 instead of 58. The drive along the Kern River is pretty nice.

Fortaleza, CE
reviews: 348
8. Re: Getting to Las Vegas from around the Sequoia NP Area

-How long do you have? Even if Tioga were open, it'd be a two-day trip at the least.

-Google Maps says 7 hours driving from Giant Village in Sequoia to Las Vegas via Hwy. 58 http://goo.gl/maps/9AK0D Not much of interest on that route except for the big windmills (power generating) and the corkscrew train tunnel.

-Going via Hwy. 178, as wisely, suggested above, which would take you up the Kern River Canyon and by Lake Isabella, would add about an hour http://goo.gl/maps/cpSWP If you don't swing north to Death Valley, you could take a short detour south on Hwy. 14 to Red Rock Canyon State Park (beautiful red rock formations) and even the almost-ghost town of Randsburg. Note this could still be a rather long day, taking into account driving time and stops to look at scenery, explore, eat, buy gas, etc.

Edited: 4:00 pm, April 12, 2013
Fortaleza, CE
reviews: 348
9. Re: Getting to Las Vegas from around the Sequoia NP Area

p.s. a quick drive through Death Valley (Hwy. 395 north to Olancha, then east on 190),would add at least an hour to either of the above. And that would be a quick visit without stops. I'd probably suggest DV only if you were going to spend the night along the way, in Lone Pine, Panamint Springs of in the park itself, and you say you aren't interested in stopping. If you're just interested in getting from Sequoia to LV as quickly and easily as possible-- in which case the idea of Tioga Pass seems curious-- just use the Hwy. 58 route to get to I-15 and then into Vegas.

Edited: 4:06 pm, April 12, 2013
United States
10. Re: Getting to Las Vegas from around the Sequoia NP Area

The Tioga Pass is mainly my mistake, I got it off a book I have which was referring to going to LV from Yosemite and I still do not comprehend the size of the US (never been there).

I'll assume google is more accurate and that we are looking at 7 hours drive. Am just wondering if adding an hour or two just for a scenic drive with some short stops can spice this ride and make it less dull.

Death Valley isn't worth passing through (from all the parks I saw it seemed the least interesting one) and only worth staying to see things ?

Edited: 6:01 pm, April 12, 2013