We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will driving an RV limit our scenic driveway options?

Which Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Will driving an RV limit our scenic driveway options?

We are planning a trip for middle-late May 2013. We hope to take in Yosemite, Sequoia and Yellowstone. Anyway, we aren't sure if we will be renting an RV for Yosemite and Sequoia/Kings Canyon parks..do you recommend this? Are these vehicles too large to navigate these roads or will our driving on scenic byways be limited by driving an RV? Are there decent campsites available for RV?

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
reviews: 59
1. Re: Will driving an RV limit our scenic driveway options?

I'll let the SEKI folks address your questions for Sequoia NP, but for Yosemite, the reservation window for campsites happened months ago and all sites were snapped up quickly. If you decide to visit Yosemite at all, please post on the Yosemite forum. And definitely post on the Yellowstone forum about the feasibility of visiting in the pre-season with snow and in an RV.

If you want help with this multi-state drive between Yosemite and Yellowstone, post on the Road Trips forum. Are you okay with the extra fees you'll be paying for additional miles? Is this a one way rental? Do you have time for Grand Teton National Park? Have you made plans for Memorial Day weekend?

--------------------

Often it's not the size of the road that is limiting with an RV, it's the lack of having a vehicle to drive to the scenic places inside the National Park. You'd have to take the RV from the campsite, try to find a large enough place to park in the scenic destination, drive back to the campsite, and set up camp again. IMO, an RV is best when you can stay put for a few days.

RV Rental: Is it right for us? tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28926-c187230

So Cal
reviews: 64
2. Re: Will driving an RV limit our scenic driveway options?

Depending on what type and size of RV you're looking at, yes, you will likely be limited for Sequoia/Kings. Your total vehicle length must not exceed 22' to drive the 198 (out of Visalia) - larger vehicles must use the 180 (out of Fresno). Continuing on down the 180 into Kings Canyon, I don't think there are length restrictions, but that road is steep, narrow and twisty, particularly approaching the bottom where there's quite a cliff overhang. (Look up pictures.) I know I wouldn't want to navigate an RV on that, but I guess it can be done.

The Generals Highway, between Grant Grove and the Giant Forest, is also narrow and twisty, but it's fine for an RV. Just be slow, careful, and use pullouts (RVs can build up quite a following on that road).

Other roads - not sure. E.g. the Crystal Cave road - that's another I wouldn't want to drive an oversized vehicle down. But apparently it's possible.

New York
3. Re: Will driving an RV limit our scenic driveway options?

OK, thank you... a lot to consider. I havent seen the Road Trips forum yet...could you tell me where that is? I wish we could rent an RV and trailer a small car-that would give us the flexibility of both worlds. Thanks again, I will be having many questions in the weeks to come

New York
4. Re: Will driving an RV limit our scenic driveway options?

Thank you for the tips, I am taking all the info to heart and appreciate advice

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
reviews: 59
5. Re: Will driving an RV limit our scenic driveway options?

Road Trips: tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Tri…

6. Re: Will driving an RV limit our scenic driveway options?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, April 11, 2014