We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

After Yosemite are Kings Canyon & Sequoia worth doing?

Which Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
After Yosemite are Kings Canyon & Sequoia worth doing?

A UK family holiday in August, will be doing San Fran (4 days), Lake Tahoe (3 days) and Yosemite (4 days).

We then have to get back to San Fran in the reamining 6 days of our holiday. I was thinking going direct to Pismo beach after Yosemite and then going up route 1, but was wondering if we should pass by Kings Canyon & Sequioa en route.

This would take 1 day out of our schedule and I need to decide if it is worth it, considering we would have done Yosemite alread should we go direct to the coast.

I would love to hear your recommendations

Fortaleza, CE
reviews: 360
1. Re: After Yosemite are Kings Canyon & Sequoia worth doing?

"Worth it" depends on your interests and what you'd do there. KC/S are, of course, nowhere near the coast so you can't really do them on the way. Just with a big detour. You give no clue as to what you'd do in the parks. Or on the coast. Or Lake Tahoe. See the parks' Web site http://www.nps.gov/seki/index.htm

You have six days to go from Yosemite down the coast and then back to SF? Six days is plenty to see just Pismo Beach and north on Hwy. 1. But we don't know what you plan to do, how many stops you plan to make, etc., etc.

Fortaleza, CE
reviews: 360
2. Re: After Yosemite are Kings Canyon & Sequoia worth doing?

p.s. if you have time between Tahoe and Yosemite, you could drive south on Hwy. 395 visit Bodie State Park (ghost town) and Mono Lake, and enter Yosemite via Tioga Pass. If you don't have time then, you could consider exiting Yosemite via Tioga Pass, visiting Bodie and Mono Lake, and continue south on Hwy. 395 (very scenic, and very different from other parts of California), to Walker Pass or Tehachapi Pass, then heading west to Pismo Beach. Could stop at Manzanar Historic Site, Bristlecone Pine Forest and/or Alabama Hills (which you'd likely recognize from movies). Latter would take a good two days, but not super long ones, and would, IMHO, be more of a contrast from other places you will have seen (Tahoe, Yosemite) than would be Kings Canyon/Sequoia (two very nice parks, especially if you'll do hiking). How many stops you make is, of course, purely up to you.

London, United...
3. Re: After Yosemite are Kings Canyon & Sequoia worth doing?

Thanks for your replies.

I think we will take up your suggestion and pass by Mono Lake on our way to Yosemite.

And then make our way to Pismo via Mariposa Grove

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
reviews: 87
4. Re: After Yosemite are Kings Canyon & Sequoia worth doing?

So you'll spend five days getting from Pismo to SF? Do your research - you'll want to do all the various stops along that route to keep yourselves occupied for five days, I think (consider, for example, spending two nights in Monterey or something, seeing the aquarium, going kayaking). Because otherwise, that's a lot of days for the coastal route.

Yosemite to Sequoia is about 4.5 hours. Spending one night in Sequoia or Kings Canyon, and four nights on the road up to SF from Pismo sounds delightful to me. It's about 5 hours from Sequoia (or Yosemite) to Pismo. Definitely post on the coastal city forums for trip ideas if you're really going to spend 4-5 days on the coast.

Los Angeles...
reviews: 70
5. Re: After Yosemite are Kings Canyon & Sequoia worth doing?

I think so. The largest sequoia trees are at SEKI and they are amazing!

6. Re: After Yosemite are Kings Canyon & Sequoia worth doing?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, April 13, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Sequoia and Kings...