We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does this plan make sense? Route advice

Which Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia...
reviews: 55
Does this plan make sense? Route advice

Hello! Before I began booking hotels I wanted to get advice on whether this would work....

My husband and I fly into SF on July 19 in the evening. We were going to stay at a hotel by the airport and then on the 20th drive to Monterey or Carmel. On the 21st we were going to drive down Rt 1- occasionaly stopping to enjoy the sights and would like to end up at (or close to) Sequoia National Park. Would that work?

What is the best route to enjoy the sights of Big Sur and then cut over to Sequoia National Park?

Thanks so much!

Los Osos, California
reviews: 3
1. Re: Does this plan make sense? Route advice

Once you leave the Monterey/Carmel area there are no roads to head east on until you get to highway 46 near Cambria. If you want to allow time to stop and enjoy the wonderful Big Sur area on your way south I would plan to make a full day of it. Cambria, Morro Bay, San Luis Obispo or Paso Robles all offer great food and hotels on the central coast. Hearst Castle is right off highway 1 near San Simeon. You can also stop and see the elephant seals near San Simeon. Dress in layers when traveling the central coast in summer. It is not uncommon for it to be colder in the summer then it is in the winter and we have a heavy marine layer most of the summer.

The route that makes the most sense would be 46 east from 1 near Cambria to 101 north. 101 north to 46 east. 46 east to 41 north. 41 north to 198 east. 198 takes you to Sequoia NP. This route will take 3-4 hours to get to the entrance of Sequoia NP. Time will depend on how fast you drive. Half of the route described has a 55 MPH speed limit. Most people drive 65-70 MPH but 46 east to 41 north is a dangerous stretch of highway. If you decide to do hwy 1 and head towards Sequoia NP on the same day consider spending the night in Visalia, which is on 198. Cambria to Visalia is about 2-2.5 hours. I did the drive last week and it took 2 hours but I was driving 65 MPH on the 55 MPH speed limit highways.

Monterey, California
reviews: 22
2. Re: Does this plan make sense? Route advice

If you are going back to SF after Sequoia............

I would do the trip clockwise.

SF - Sequoia - Cambria/Big Sur - Monterey - SF

3. Re: Does this plan make sense? Route advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, March 23, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Sequoia and Kings...