We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just two more questions!

Which Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Newmarket, Canada
reviews: 126
Just two more questions!

We will be staying for three nights at Wuksachi lodge mid October. We will be coming from staying three nights in Yosemite. We won't have time to do the Kings Canyon Scenic Byway on the way into the park if the road is even still open. We always seem to linger in Yosemite, and with the shorter days we want to get to Wuksachi before dusk. My question is, is it worth going back on one of our days in the park and doing the scenic drive or should we concentrate on Sequoia? When leaving the park will there be delays on 198 due to construction or is it worth driving around, we're headed for Morro Bay?

So Cal
reviews: 64
1. Re: Just two more questions!

Re Kings Canyon: the drive down is fantastic (fantastic to me, terrifying to some), descending a few thousand feet to the canyon floor. But if you've just come from Yosemite, you might be underwhelmed by the canyon itself, beautiful though it is. It's similar to Yosemite Valley, but a bit less, if you know what I mean. (On the other hand, it's *much* less crowded.) Early in the year, if we've had good snowfall, the Kings River is gorgeous down there, but by October flow will be down. Boyden Cavern is there, but I think Crystal Cave (closer to Wuksachi) is more worth seeing.

So...if it were me, I would plan to spend that time in the Giant Forest and other Sequoia areas. If you find yourself all treed out, you can always change your plans and make the drive.

Monterey, California
reviews: 22
2. Re: Just two more questions!

If you are coming from Yosemite you will enter King's Canyon National Park on 180 via Fresno. The road "into" the Canyon is closed in winter.

You will drive the general's hwy from Grant Grove to Wuksachi.

From Sequoia you can then leave via 198 via Three Rivers.

www.nationalparktravel.com/sequoia_map.htm

3. Re: Just two more questions!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, March 23, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Sequoia and Kings...