We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to spend our time?

Which Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Newmarket, Canada
reviews: 119
How to spend our time?

We have 7 days set aside to visit Sequoia/Kings Canyon & Yosemite. We will be starting our trip on Monday in mid-October from San Francisco. I thought we would start with first Yosemite as it would probably be less crowded mid-week. We have been to Yosemite in October before. I would like to get some ideas as to how to divide my time? Should we try to visit both Kings Canyon and Sequoia? If so should we plan accommodation in a central location or two different places? Any suggestions for accommodation?

New York City, New...
reviews: 6
1. Re: How to spend our time?

I would not go to Kings Canyon after Yosemite. Except for the Grant Grove area, you can't avoid that coming from Fresno. But the canyon itself does not cpare to Yosemite. I would stay at Wuksachi.

Monterey, California
reviews: 22
2. Re: How to spend our time?

http://www.nps.gov/seki/index.htm

Above link has everything you need to know.

Depending on weather the road "into" King's Canyon might be closed......or closed to overnights. Grant Grove to Sequoia should be still open and there is lodging in both. I'd stay at Wuksachi to hike around the Giant Forest.

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
reviews: 320
3. Re: How to spend our time?

Here's the link to my very long and probably overly detailed trip report from last summer that includes Sequoia, Kings Canyon and Yosemite:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28926-i29-k565195…

This might give you some ideas on things to see and do in the parks.

Newmarket, Canada
reviews: 119
4. Re: How to spend our time?

Thanks for the trip report OhioHick. I remember reading your posts on Yosemite for our fall trip there last October. We used a lot of your suggestions in our planning.

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
reviews: 320
5. Re: How to spend our time?

I'm glad my old posts and TRs have been useful to you, Philly. That's what I find most useful about TA, the exchange of ideas and information on the fourms.

My wife and I really like Wuksachi Lodge so that is my recommendation for where to stay in Sequoia. It provided a good location for the things we were most interested in seeing. AS you can see in the TR, we did take the drive into the Valley at Kings Canyon. Quite the road. I found it interesting and scenic, but I agree with the previous posts that Yosemite Valley is more impressive. Add it if you have the time, but I woudl focus more on the big trees. Certianly stop at Grant's Grove, but really focus on the Giant Forest and the adjacent meadows. Moro Rock was also worth the effort.

Have a great trip!

6. Re: How to spend our time?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, March 24, 2014