We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sequoia and kings canyon vacation

Which Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Coppell, Texas
reviews: 1
sequoia and kings canyon vacation

We are planning a vacation for this summer. I need ideas/itineraries for what to do with a 11, 13 and 15 year old. I always come to this site for ideas for our vacations and usually get all my questions answered by reading other posts. Thought I'd try to ask myself this time. Where would be a good location to stay? Somewhere central. We often like to rent a house for the week, but do not know if this is an option here. Any thoughts on where to fly into? We are coming from the Dallas, TX area. Thank you in advance for any thoughts.

Monterey, California
reviews: 22
1. Re: sequoia and kings canyon vacation

Rentals are hard to find........research the Hume Lake camps, Wilsonia or for something different all the way up in Mineral King... http://www.silvercityresort.com/index.php/accommodations/chalets/''

You can fly into Fresno from San Francisco/LA

The three parks are all different and quite a bit of mountain driving between them.

Fresno, California
2. Re: sequoia and kings canyon vacation

You can fly into Fresno nonstop from DFW or connect thru other west coast hubs including DEN, SLC, PHX, etc. Frontier is starting flights into Fresno this summer and the other airlines have been lowering fares on some days to compete. If possible, consider flights on Mon/Wed/Fri as I've been seeing some of the lowest fares on those days.

The Fresno airport is a little over one hour to drive from the Grant Grove area in the parks.

As larryjohn mentioned, rentals are hard to find close to the parks but they do exist.

You can also consider the in-park lodgings. Or maybe consider renting a RV or camping gear in Fresno.

Sandy Run, South...
reviews: 2
3. Re: sequoia and kings canyon vacation

We too are going to SEKI and Yosemite soon --late May-early June and found both houses we will be using on www.vrbo.com. The Three Rivers area for SEKI is VRBO 360711 and the Midpines area for Yosemite is VRBO 140488. This is our first trip to CA but the reveiws from various sites looked great and the contact I have had with both owners has been outstanding. I will certainly post my own reviews when we return. We have used VRBO for a number of our trips and have never been disappointed.

Coppell, Texas
4. Re: sequoia and kings canyon vacation

THank you Cindy. I looked at the house you are renting in Three Rivers, and it is exactly what we would like, however it is already booked. Three rivers seems like a good area to stay though. Does anyone have any other recommendations of locations to stay? or specific places? Clean is top on our list!

So Cal
reviews: 64
5. Re: sequoia and kings canyon vacation

If you do find something in Three Rivers, be sure to check the SeKi website for scheduled construction. If there's road construction on the 198 (the park road you would take), you *might* have delays of about half an hour.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
reviews: 87
6. Re: sequoia and kings canyon vacation

Oh my goodness, I can't imagine placing a family in a house in Three Rivers for any length of time. If you're lucky, the kids would enjoy a few hours on the little beach there (IF it's safe at the time you're there), but they shouldn't be going in the water anyplace else and the nearby manmade-lake is, without a boat rental, not a place for recreation.

If you really want to see Sequoia or Kings Canyon, stay in the parks. Kings Canyon has housekeeping cabins (rustic) and that will be your best choice. Hume Lake may have something, but it is usually rented out to large groups and their overflow policy really varies. I suppose the Montecito-Sequoia Lodge and Family Resort might be another suggestion, but I strong advise staying in Kings Canyon cabins or other lodgings if at all possible.

Here are things in Sequoia kids like to do (we took our kids every year, usually more than once, every year from age 1 to age...current):

Beetle Rock and History Museum (and the old growth forest right next to Beetle Rock). Might see some wildlife. Kids like the Museum, it's aimed at them. There's also the Nature Center at Beetle Rock.

Moro Rock (the best "rock climbing" experience available - using stairs.

Crescent and Log Meadows (and even longer hikes in that area).

Round Meadow.

Picnicking (various places: highly recommend Crescent Meadow)

Longer hikes.

Lodgepole Creek (sandy beach near the bridge, Nature Center).

Tokopah Falls hike. Many other hikes in that area and out of Wolverton Meadow.

Little or Big Baldy Hikes.

They can pick up sticks in the area between Sequoia and Kings Canyon and practice whittling. They can even make a fishing pole and fish in Lodgepole creek (if they are very quiet, they'll see fish - they probably won't catch any; but I've seen kids catch fish when the creek at Crescent Meadow is flowing).

Grants Grove Hike and all the various wonderful hikes in Kings Canyon.

The most fun, though, is tent camping because then you may get to see bears.

It's my understanding that the roads are relatively snow free, but we need to near from WuksachiStaff about whether the road to Crescent Meadow is open (you can walk to Crescent Meadow and Tharp's log - a must see - from the General Sherman tree area, though, it's not that far).

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
reviews: 373
7. Re: sequoia and kings canyon vacation

My wife and I were in Sequoia, Kings Canyon and Yosemite last summer. Here's the link to the trip report that I posted:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28926-i29-k565195…

Perhaps you will get a few ideas for things to see and do in the parks.

Coppell, Texas
8. Re: sequoia and kings canyon vacation

another question..you guys have been great. I booked the only days left at Waksachi lodge. sunday and Monday. My question is...I can get a room at Hume Lake (really good price too $135 + and meals are only $10 for tuesd and wed. They have activities that the family can participate in. Do you know anything about that place? or my other option is to rent a house for the rest of the week in Three rivers and drive up to the park. Nice house, swimming pool, hot tub, etc. Better to stay in the kings canyon area, or drive in from the south section of the park. Top thing my kids want to see if the trees! (yes, hiking, swimming, etc. but the trees would be tops). I know someone was concerned about spending time in three rivers, but we mostly want a comfortable and relaxing place to come home to after spending time in the park all day. Not concerned about the activities in three rivers other than eating, swimming, sleeping.

So Cal
reviews: 64
9. Re: sequoia and kings canyon vacation

Hume Lake is about 10 winding miles from Grant Grove. The only things I really know about it relate to the Christian camp there (my nephews go); I've only driven through. I think it's well-placed for the GG area and for Kings Canyon. You're looking at about an hour's drive to get to the Lodgepole/Giant Forest/Moro Rock/Crescent Meadow area from there.

But if you stayed in Three Rivers, you'd also have a long and very, very winding drive up and down the mountain every single day. And it'd be a lot hotter, as it's so much further down in elevation.

If those are your choices, I'd go with Hume. BTW - I've stayed in Grant Grove cabins (fits my budget better than Wuksachi). I've never minded the drive to Lodgepole/Sequoia - it's pretty, and just winding enough to be interesting. With kids you would have to plan that more carefully, I guess - maybe intersperse L/S days with GG/KC days.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
reviews: 87
10. Re: sequoia and kings canyon vacation

Again, the park is as interesting at dusk and in the evening as it is during the day - it's a whole other world at night. You will miss that in Three Rivers.

Either Hume or Grant Grove cabins would be nicer, in my opinion. Hume has a summer camp atmosphere with lots of other kids (something like old Camp Kaweah, but without the big trees - still, lots of pines and cedars there, a beautiful lake and lots of activities at the end of the for kids - plus the advantages of star gazing, and watching for wildlife nearby). You can easily go off to a National Forest picnic/campground area for a fireside experience (you can rent a campsite for about $10 in the national forest and you don't have to sleep there, you can go back to your cabin at Hume - but you'd still get some experience of the Sierras in the evening).