We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Monterey to Sequoia National Park

Which Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lausanne...
From Monterey to Sequoia National Park

Dear all,

how long does it take form Monterey to the Sequoia National Park? Is is feasible in one day? (if we get up at 6am, we arrive there around 10, and we go back around 1-2am in the night)

How is the road? highway?

In general what is the faster way (in miles, speed and relax) to arrive there, between SF, LA, Monterey and Santa Barbara?

Thanks a lot

Mauro

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 42
1. Re: From Monterey to Sequoia National Park

What tine of year are you coming?

Fortaleza, CE
reviews: 378
2. Re: From Monterey to Sequoia National Park

Google Maps says 4 1/2 hours each way. "So, getting up at 6 a.m., on the road by 6:30 or 7, getting there by 10 would be quick. Yosemite Valley, more spectacular IMHO, would be closer (or about the same time if you go via the Wawona Grove of Redwoods). Why Sequoia? To see the redwoods? What will you do once you arrive? There are, of course, coastal redwoods much closer to Monterey. If you're objective is to see the Sierra redwoods, I'd go for Yosemite, or even Calaveras Big Trees State Park (a bit closer than Sequoia and you could see gold rush era towns on Hwy. 49 nearby).

Edited: 8:21 am, March 13, 2013
Lausanne...
3. Re: From Monterey to Sequoia National Park

15-29 May. I would like to see the redwoods, form what I have understood in the sequoia park one has just to drives through the forest, right? But still I have not decided anything about what exactly do there. Any suggestion?

Edited: 9:38 am, March 13, 2013
Fortaleza, CE
4. Re: From Monterey to Sequoia National Park

You still need to get out of your car to see much. Same as for Wawona Grove in Yosemite, and Calaveras. Look at the Web sites for the parks and you can see what else there is to do. Sequoiq and Kings Canyon are administered jointly; there are big trees in both.

Monterey, California
reviews: 22
5. Re: From Monterey to Sequoia National Park

Hi,

I've gone to Sequoia every May since 1978.

It takes me 4 hours to get to the Grant Grove entrance with a stop for gas at Squaw Valley.

That is fast since I know the route....

You can drive the kings hwy from Grant Grove to the Giant Forest where you'd want to spend some time hiking in the woods. You can leave Sequoia from Three Rivers but it will take probably 5 1/2 hours from there back to Monterey.

It is 100% better than Calaveras or Yosemite for the trees but it would be a very long day.............

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
6. Re: From Monterey to Sequoia National Park

And you definitely don't want to drive ca198 via Three Rivers in the night. Very steep and winding. Not sure about your route. Sf-LA, Monterey-SB?? How are you planning this and how much time do you have.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
reviews: 75
7. Re: From Monterey to Sequoia National Park

The Original Poster (Mauro) is planning a day trip to SEKI from Monterey. Yikes.

Here is his itinerary thread. tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28926-i29-k6253287

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
8. Re: From Monterey to Sequoia National Park

Yes, found it already. Thanks PNWF.

So Cal
reviews: 63
9. Re: From Monterey to Sequoia National Park

I would not do this. Giant sequoias are indeed awesome, but to be blunt, this is a bad plan. Long distance + mountain driving on unfamiliar territory = just not worth it if you can't spend at least one night in the Sequoia/Kings Canyon area.

The best experience at Sequoia/Kings involves at least some light hiking. But look at the park website. www.nps.gov/seki

Fortaleza, CE
10. Re: From Monterey to Sequoia National Park

http://www.bigbasin.org/

http://www.nps.gov/muwo/index.htm

Coast, not Sierra, Redwoods, but a lot less driving.