We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kings Canyon, Yosemite trip suggestions

Which Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Grand Junction...
Kings Canyon, Yosemite trip suggestions

Hi! I will be spending a week in Redlands, CA for a workshop and plan on spending 7-9 days driving north to hit up these parks afterward. I've never been in that area before... the only thing I know I want to do is an overnight backpack Hetch Hetchy and i'll probably want to see the tourist stuff. I'm looking for a good itinerary or must-do's for me to build an itinerary and good camp spots in or out of parks. Should I bring a bike? Would like to make reservations before the end of March. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
reviews: 59
1. Re: Kings Canyon, Yosemite trip suggestions

Hi lanna410, and welcome to TripAdvisor forums

This is the perfect forum to plan your time in Sequoia Kings Canyon NP. For your time in Yosemite, post on that forum: tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g61000-i315 When you make your new thread on that forum, please include travel dates. The road to Hetch Hetchy is currently closed due to damage.

Grand Junction...
2. Re: Kings Canyon, Yosemite trip suggestions

i probably should have mentioned that i'll be in the area at the end of June.. :)

Sequoia National...
3. Re: Kings Canyon, Yosemite trip suggestions

Some must see/do attractions in Sequoia are the General Sherman Tree (largest living organism on the planet), the 2 mile Congress trail which begins at the base of General Sherman, the Crescent Meadow loop trail where you can see Tharp's Log (a cabin built into a fallen giant sequoia by the first non-Native American settler in the parks, Hale Tharp), the trail to the top of Moro Rock, Tunnel Log (which you can drive through), and Crystal Cave. These attractions are all located fairly close together in the Giant Forest area, and there are many other great trails there as well.

You are certainly welcome to bring a bike with you but there are not many places in Sequoia where you are able to ride, so that would be mostly for the Yosemite portion of your trip. There are bike rentals available in Yosemite Valley though, so you may want to just take advantage of that.

As for campgrounds, Lodgepole is the one that I generally recommend in Sequoia. It's right in the heart of the park and only a few minutes drive to the major attractions. They are also one of the only campgrounds in Sequoia that take advance reservations (go to www.recreation.gov to reserve). The only other campground that takes advance reservations is Dorst, which is about a 15 minute drive north of Lodgepole. All the rest are on a first-come-first-served basis.

There are several campgrounds in Yosemite that take advance reservations, the largest of which is Upper Pines. The other options are Lower Pines and North Pines, as well as Camp 4 which is a first-come-first-served campground. I would absolutely suggest making your Yosemite reservations as soon as possible. Yosemite is an extremely popular place, especially during the summer, and I'm sure they will sell out well in advance. You can book those campgrounds at www.recreation.gov as well.

Hope this helps!

Edited: 11:13 pm, March 08, 2013
Grand Junction...
4. Re: Kings Canyon, Yosemite trip suggestions

it sure does. i appreciate it!!

South San...
reviews: 9
5. Re: Kings Canyon, Yosemite trip suggestions

WukasachiStaff and other experts, please help me with some suggestions what I can see there. Im going there March 21. I did my homework by reading maps and books from AAA. It seems to me many trails and roads to points of interests are closed in winter. I have 3 nights in Sequoia King Canyon and 3 nights inside Yosemite Park. Thanks for your help.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
reviews: 59
6. Re: Kings Canyon, Yosemite trip suggestions

lanna410 ~ We're still hoping to hear from you on the Yosemite forum!

Depile ~ start a thread on the Yosemite forum to receive the best feedback.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
reviews: 87
7. Re: Kings Canyon, Yosemite trip suggestions

Yep, some trails closed right now. However, some near General Sherman may be passable if others have skied or snowshoed ahead of you. Can usually walk south of history center on the road, but Wuksachi will know best.

8. Re: Kings Canyon, Yosemite trip suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, March 12, 2014