We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mid May Trip

Which Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Floyd, Virginia
reviews: 40
Mid May Trip

Will be in Sequoia and Kings Canyon mid may of this year. Anyone familiar enough with weather patterns to speak to likelihood of it snowing then? Will the Kings Canyon Scenic Highway be open?

Sequoia National...
1. Re: Mid May Trip

In a normal year there is usually still a little snow on the ground in shady places, but we haven't received much this year so I'd say odds are the ground will be clear by mid-May. That said, we have received snow in June before so anything is possible. I wouldn't say it's likely though.

As for the road down into Kings Canyon, it is scheduled to open on May 22nd, but that will also depend on what the weather conditions are like between now and then.

Floyd, Virginia
reviews: 40
2. Re: Mid May Trip

Thanks for this info. We'll be visiting from May 16 - May 19. Hoping to drive Kings Canyon Scenic Highway, so am disappointed to see your date of May 22. On nps site, it seems to open May 1. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Sequoia National...
3. Re: Mid May Trip

Here's a link for future reference on road status: nps.gov/seki/…road-conditions.htm

The road from Grant Grove to Cedar Grove is the one you are talking about. If we don't get a ton of new snow between now and May then the road may open sooner, but 5/22 is what the Park Service has semi-officially announced.

4. Re: Mid May Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, March 09, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Sequoia and Kings...