We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family friendly accommodation in California National Parks

Which Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester
Level Contributor
66 posts
2 reviews
Family friendly accommodation in California National Parks

Hi,

Following a 3-week stay in central LA with my familiy (inc. two children - 3 and 6 years) in July this year. I am looking to escape the urban sprawl and find somewhere in the great Californian outdoors to spend a week relaxing with the kids.

We've looked at Sequoia and Kings Canyon national parks and they both seem good options. Does anyone know of any good value, family freidnly accommodation in / near these parks or other options within 4-hrs drive of LA?

Thanks

So Cal
Level Contributor
4,858 posts
68 reviews
1. Re: Family friendly accommodation in California National Parks

FYI, Sequoia and Kings are technically two parks but are operated as one. The official website www.nps.gov/seki will give you lodging info for both. If none of those places work for you, you could look at the town of Three Rivers - you would have to drive a twisty highway up to Sequoia each day, but lodging is a bit cheaper. Someone else might be able to recommend places along the 180 from Fresno (I haven't taken that route myself).

Other than that, have you looked at the central coast? Or the Big Bear area (mountains east of LA)? San Diego, though a city, is also a great place to relax.

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
1,124 posts
2. Re: Family friendly accommodation in California National Parks

I don't know your budget, preferred travel style, or your idea of relaxing activites with the family, but my first thought was Montecito Sequoia Lodge located midway between Grant Grove and Giant Forest.

July at Montecito Sequoia is family camp season. They offer a 6 night all inclusive stay in a cabin, room or suite with meals and activities.

montecitosequoia.com/summerfamilycamp.html

www.montecitosequoia.com/sfcrates07.html

Montecito Sequoia would provide a base for a few days of exploring SEKI while also providing organized outdoor camp activites for the younger group.

If that does not match the experience you are looking for in the parks, just provide some more details about what you would like.

Manchester
Level Contributor
66 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Family friendly accommodation in California National Parks

Thanks for the response.

Our budget is max $200 a night.

In terms of activities - general access to a pool, walking, wildlife, other outdoor activities and proximity to some of the stunning sights in the area. We will have hire car so will be mobile.

We are less focussed on an organised family camp but more on being able to independently access thee local area, sights and activities.

Many thanks

4. Re: Family friendly accommodation in California National Parks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, March 12, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Sequoia and Kings...