We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Sequoia in early April

Which Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Roanoke, Virginia
Trip to Sequoia in early April

My husband and I are thinking about visiting Sequoia after our Yosemite trip on our way home to El Paso. As long as we have chains on the tires, is that a decent time of year to go? We're thinking of staying two nights very close to the park. Will that be enough time? Too much time for that time of year? I really don't have a feel for weather conditions in Sequoia that time of year. Are we in for a lot of skiiing/snowshoeing to see the "big" attractions?

Thanks!

Monterey, California
reviews: 22
1. Re: Trip to Sequoia in early April

http://www.nps.gov/seki/index.htm

Everything you need to know is on the website........

Unfortunately you won't know the conditions in the Giant Forest till you get there.

Usually snow in April but not the skiing/snowshoeing kind.

I think the best month is mid May if the snow is mainly gone from the forest.

Sequoia National...
2. Re: Trip to Sequoia in early April

April is usually a tough month to predict what conditions will be like, and this year will be no exception, but for what it's worth we just received word that we need to close down our ski/snowshoe shop due to insufficient snow. That could change if Mother Nature decides to throw some more "winter" our way, and March is historically our heaviest snow month, but we'll just have to wait and see.

In any case, two nights is most certainly not too much time for a visit to Sequoia. One thing I always suggest, especially for folks coming from Yosemite and planning to use Highway 180 to enter Sequoia, is to check the NPS road/weather hotline before heading up the mountain (dial 559-565-3341). There is a stretch of Hwy 180 that can close temporarily after periods of heavy snow, so definitely make sure the roads you intend to use will be open, and check to see what (if any) chain restrictions are in place.

Roanoke, Virginia
3. Re: Trip to Sequoia in early April

Thank you both very much for the replies. We're in the process of getting chains for the car. Somewhere I read you're required to carry chains in both Yosemite and Sequoia in early April. Is that true?

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
reviews: 87
4. Re: Trip to Sequoia in early April

Yes, it is true.

5. Re: Trip to Sequoia in early April

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, March 12, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Sequoia and Kings...