We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yosemite and Sequoia - 2 days each?

Which Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
reviews: 53
Yosemite and Sequoia - 2 days each?

I am going to CA the first week of Oct. I am planning on spending 2 days in Yosemite and 2 in Sequoia. Is this a good balance or should I spend 3 at Yosemite? The trip to Sequoia is really just for the giant trees.

Any advice on sights within the parks?

How far is the actual drive from park to park?

Also, I am considering staying outside the parks in Mariposa (Yosemite) and Visalia (Seq.) as the park hotels do not seem worth the money. Any info on the driving times and whether this is worth while would be appreciated.

Thanks!

New York City, New...
reviews: 6
1. Re: Yosemite and Sequoia - 2 days each?

Yosemite to Sequoia is four to six hours or more depending on where in Yosemite you start and where in Sequoia you want to end up. It takes at least two hours just to cross Yosemite itself.

If you just want to see giant sequoias, you can see them in Yosemite and spend all four days there. that would allow you to see other regions of the park besides just the Valley. Check out the Mariposa Grove at Yosemite (nowhere near the town of Mariposa).

both the town and the grove called Mariposa are an hour to Yosemite Valley on winding roads, in different directions.

The town is in the foothills but still hilly and wooded

Visalia is another world from either park, down in the flatlands with freeways and such

Fresno, California
reviews: 10
2. Re: Yosemite and Sequoia - 2 days each?

Aloha!!

If you do go to Sequoia Park we suggest you take Hwy 180 East through Fresno. It takes you to the North end of the park and is an easier road to drive. 198 East takes you through Visalia up to Sequoia Parks South entrance. It is very windy with several haipin turns before you reach the south entrance. It will save you some time. It's about 90 minutes from Yosemite park south entrance to Fresno. You would take hwy 41 to Fresno than catch 180 East off 41. Whatever, you are going to see some wonderful sights.

Have a great trip.

Deannatravel

New York City, New...
reviews: 6
3. Re: Yosemite and Sequoia - 2 days each?

deannatravel is right, although the road up from Three Rivers is pretty impressive. But if you go to Sequoia you really should go to the south end, the Giant Forest, which is at the top of the twisty climb. You can reach it from the north entrance, so that's no problem.

Giant Forest has the largest trees in the world, plus large boggy meadows surrounded by giant sequoias and Moro Rock and the drive on and drive under logs, (no standing drive through trees, though).

Monterey, California
reviews: 22
4. Re: Yosemite and Sequoia - 2 days each?

...you can stay in three rivers at the park's southern entrance and go up into the giant forest from there.

...if you want to see the ultimate sequoia groves hike the giant forest or redwood mountain grove........

Los Angeles...
reviews: 9
5. Re: Yosemite and Sequoia - 2 days each?

I've driven from Sequoia (Dorst Campground) to Yosemite (south entrance on Hwy 41) and it took us 3 hours to get there via the main highway from Grant's Grove (180 I think) to 41 North.

If you do stay two days in Sequoia I recommend one day in the Giant Forest area, visiting Crescent Meadow, Moro Rock, Tunnel Tree, and of course the General Sherman (largest living thing on Earth). The next day I would recommend that you visit Hume Lake, which has very affordable boats, kayaks, etc., and a beach to relax on & go swimming - it's very nice.

When you go to Yosemite, be sure to visit Glacier Point, that gives you amazing views of the valley and the high country beyond.

Personally, I think staying in Mariposa is too far from the park. If you can swing it, stay at one of the cabins in Redwoods in Yosemite, or if you don't want to stay in the valley, stay at Fish Camp (2 miles from the southern entrance on Hwy 41). I think Visalia is too far, too. You'll have to go up the mountain to visit the park and it's a good distance.

If you want to stay near the southern entrance of Sequoia, then try 3 Rivers.

You might also look into staying at Wuksachi Lodge in Sequoia, or one of the lodges at Grant's Grove. There is also one at Cedar Grove that might have availability this late in the year.

Enjoy!

6. Re: Yosemite and Sequoia - 2 days each?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:41 am, August 13, 2009