We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sequoia in early April

Which Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ware, United Kingdom
reviews: 1
Sequoia in early April

Hi,

We're planning a trip in early April to Sequoia and will be coming in via route 198 from Three Rivers. As we've got a hire car that won't let us use snow chains, are there any public transport options at this time of year?

Many thanks,

Tim.

Fresno, California
1. Re: Sequoia in early April

There are seasonal shuttles that operate from Visalia to Three Rivers to Sequoia as well as inside the park. The main season they operate is late May to early September.

They have also operated the shuttles around some holidays. In the past that has included a two week operation around Easter and Spring Break vacations. This year that would roughly be the last week of March/first week of April.

But I have not heard if they will run a shuttle during that Spring Break period this year, perhaps WuksachiStaff has heard and will post info.

You might also contact the shuttle service to ask if they will operate during your visit. Email sequoiashuttle@ci.visalia.ca.us or visit https://www.facebook.com/SequoiaShuttle.

Sequoia National...
2. Re: Sequoia in early April

This past year when they ran the shuttle service over the holidays from December 26 through January 1, the notice was posted on December 19. I haven't heard anything about the shuttle operating over spring break, but if they do, the notice probably will not be posted for a while. I agree with FresnoFacts suggestion to contact the shuttle service directly and see if they can tell you.

If the shuttle is not running, I would suggest renting a 4 wheel or all wheel drive vehicle. California state law still requires snow chains or cables to be carried in all vehicles entering a chain control zone, but generally speaking 4 wheel drive is usually enough to get you through.

Ware, United Kingdom
3. Re: Sequoia in early April

Thanks for replying so quickly. I didn't realise it was Californian state law for the snow chains, I was under the (wrong!) impression it was for the national parks, but I guess in the NPs I'm going to it's more likely because of the altitude.

I'm travelling from Death Valley to Three Rivers to go to Sequoia and then up to El Portal to go to Yosemite. Will snow chains really be needed on these main roads? I will try to get a 4x4 but that will be on availability with the rental company.

What I'm concerned about is not being able to get into Sequoia to see the trees. Worse comes to worse are there any private companies that would do a tour from Three Rivers or at very worse I suppose we could hire a cab?

At least in Yosemite there's the option of the YARTS.

Thanks again.

Santa Clarita...
reviews: 4
4. Re: Sequoia in early April

Took this tour a few years ago, still the same owner. It was an excellent tour, very informative, etc.

http://www.sequoiatours.com

Fresno, California
5. Re: Sequoia in early April

Sequoia Tours is a good suggestion. The OP can read some reviews at this link, including some reviews from travellers who used them for winter visits.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60963-d11…

Sequoia National...
6. Re: Sequoia in early April

It's anybody's guess as to what the weather conditions will be like at that time of year, but March is typically our heaviest snow month, and it is entirely possible that chains may still be required in early April. If it comes down to it and you are unable to secure a 4x4 or use chains or cables on your vehicle, I would highly suggest Sequoia Sightseeing Tours. And as much as I love Sequoia I would never hire a cab to take the drive in. The fare would be hundreds of dollars I'm sure.

Assuming you are able to drive in yourself, I always suggest calling the NPS road/weather hotline before you head up the mountain to see what the current conditions are like, and what (if any) chain restrictions are in place. You can call them 24 hours a day at 559-565-3341, and the recording is updated as conditions change.

Ware, United Kingdom
7. Re: Sequoia in early April

That's great.

Many thanks everyone for taking the time out for the quick responses.

I've never been to the US and I can't wait.

Thanks again.

8. Re: Sequoia in early April

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, February 02, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Sequoia and Kings...