We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grant Grove vs. Lodgepole for camping

Which Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
LINCOLN
reviews: 1
Grant Grove vs. Lodgepole for camping

We are going to the parks in late June with our trailer. I was originally planning on staying in Dorst Creek campground, however their reservations start July 1st and I am not sure the campground will be open in June. I was wondering what area people prefer to stay in? We will be there 4 nights, 3 full days and have 3 young kids 10, 8, 5. We want to see the main sites: General Sherman, Moro Rock, and of course all the Giant Sequoia groves we can.

San Diego...
reviews: 28
1. Re: Grant Grove vs. Lodgepole for camping

I've only camped at the Lodgepole campground, but I thought it was a pretty convenient location, not all that far from the Giant Forest and General Sherman tree. Not all that far from Crystal Cave if you plan to take a tour of that. It's also not too far from the Lakes Trail, which goes to a series of 4 lakes starting with Heather Lake. I don't know if that would be too much uphill hiking for them or not.

You'll pass Moro Rock when you enter the park, assuming you enter on Highway 198 from Visalia. So you could either see Moro Rock as your first sight in the park or your last sight on your way out. I think the view from the rock is better in the afternoons. There are 400 stone steps to get up to the top of Moro Rock, and the top of it can be scary to be at, even though there is a railing there: …staticflickr.com/1179/1031495473_80b079befe… So for those reasons you may want to consider whether or not you want to take your kids up to the top of the rock. I think Panoramic Point, near the John Muir Lodge, is a safer viewpoint with about the same views of the Sierra peaks.

The campgrounds around the Grant Grove area are in Kings Canyon National Park so they are closer to the park features such as of course the Grant Grove itself, and Panoramic Point, and closer to the road that goes down into Kings Canyon itself, if you wanted to go down there to see the canyon, the Kings river, the Boyden Cavern, Grizzly Falls, Roaring River Falls, Zumwalt Meadow, etc.

So if you want to cover all these areas I might suggest 2 nights at Lodgepole and 2 nights at one of the campgrounds in the Grant Grove area.

LINCOLN
reviews: 1
2. Re: Grant Grove vs. Lodgepole for camping

Thanks so much for the in depth reply. We are coming from NorCal, so we will probably enter the park via Fresno. I really wanted Dorst, but I guess I will just have to play it by ear and see if it is open when we arrive June 20th. I am such a planner and have a hard time heading out camping without reservations. If Dorst is closed I think we will stay in Grant Grove and just drive to the sights over near Lodgepole. With our trailer it is too much of a pain moving it after 2 nights.

I guess it is much easier to get into Kings Canyon/Sequoia then Yosemite.

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
reviews: 22
3. Re: Grant Grove vs. Lodgepole for camping

Why not stay at Lodgepole? It looks like sites are available for reservation on your dates. It's the most convenient campground to the Giant Forest. You will be able to get around via the shuttle bus in late June. If Dorst is open, the shuttle bus will go there too.

The Grant Grove campgrounds are first come and could fill up by the afternoon on a Saturday. If planning to stay there, going in on Friday would be better.

With a trailer, you probably cannot enter by 198 from Three Rivers. So, you will have to enter via Grant Grove.

4. Re: Grant Grove vs. Lodgepole for camping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, January 15, 2014