We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best lodging plan for 1 week visit to see both parks?

Which Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sugar Land, Texas
Best lodging plan for 1 week visit to see both parks?

My wife and I will spend 7 nights in the parks in September. We are avid day hikers who now like a bit of comfort in our lodging and prefer not cooking our own meals on vacation.

The Wuksachi Lodge looks like our kind of place, and appears central to Sequoia sights and trails, but is it too far from the Kings Canyon trails and sights if we were to stay there all 7 nights?

We have often stayed in multiple lodges when we have visited other parks, so don't mind moving if that is best. Is it worth spending a few nights in Wuksachi, a few in Grants Grove/John Muir and a few in Cedar Grove?

We have stayed in many NP lodges and cabins, so we know what to expect.

Sorry for rambling, but advice on lodges and number of days at each would be much appreciated.

Houston, TX
reviews: 25
1. Re: Best lodging plan for 1 week visit to see both parks?

bumping this up

Monterey, California
reviews: 22
2. Re: Best lodging plan for 1 week visit to see both parks?

Hi,

I would spend 2 nites in Cedar Grove, 2 nights in Grant Grove and the last 3 at Wuksachi.

That way you'll be able to see all the best areas of the parks without hours in the car going back and forth. It would be a waste of time driving in and out of the Canyon because it takes longer than you would think.

I would also take some food into Cedar Grove since the "snack bar" doesn't offer much........There are minimal groceries available there.

Sugar Land, Texas
3. Re: Best lodging plan for 1 week visit to see both parks?

Thanks for your advice larryjohn; much appreciated.

4. Re: Best lodging plan for 1 week visit to see both parks?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:17 pm, January 06, 2014