We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which would you choose Sequioa park or Kings canyon

Which Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tallahassee Florida
reviews: 13
Which would you choose Sequioa park or Kings canyon

I would like to spend 2 nights in either of these park for hiking.Lodging would be Wuksachi lodge or Cedar groove lodge

Which would you choose?Or would you go 1 night for each we will continue to Yosemite High Sierra after that.

Los Angeles...
reviews: 66
1. Re: Which would you choose Sequioa park or Kings canyon

Well, the two parks join together. Many of the giant trees are in Grant Groe whic is actually in King's Canyon so chances are you will be in both parts at some point. Having said that, Wuksachi is the place to stay as it is more centrally located. Cedar Grove is at the end of a long, winding dead end road in the canyon.

nps.gov/seki/…SEKImap3_DrivingMap-2.pdf

Monterey, California
reviews: 22
2. Re: Which would you choose Sequioa park or Kings canyon

Sequoia is the place for serious day hikes in the Giant Forest and surroundings.

King's Canyon is the place for a couple of strolls in the valley or serious up up uphill hiking.

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
reviews: 22
3. Re: Which would you choose Sequioa park or Kings canyon

If you are driving from San Francisco and enter King's Canyon on Hwy 180, you could stay at the John Muir Lodge in Grant Grove.

sequoia-kingscanyon.com/johnmuirlodge.html

This inn is about halfway between the Giant Forest and Cedar Grove so you could drive into King's Canyon one day and down to Lodgepole the next.

The Mist Falls hike is a great day hike down in King's Canyon.

localhikes.com/Hikes/MistFallsKCNP_8780.asp

Edited: 10:27 pm, December 11, 2012
Lewiston, California
reviews: 63
4. Re: Which would you choose Sequioa park or Kings canyon

Cedar Grove is at the end of King's Canyon & is a lovely but isolated location. I often have camped there but stayed at the "Lodge" once. It is VERY basic with no services only a general store & a snack bar that does serve breakfast along with sandwiches ect.

John Muir Lodge in Kings Canyon is a much better place to stay with a real sit down restaurant near by along with a number of other amenities

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
reviews: 42
5. Re: Which would you choose Sequioa park or Kings canyon

jilkovina, I know you and your group are strong hikers. You might like to try for a night at Bearpaw High Sierra Camp in Sequoia---the date to call for reservations is Jan. 2. This is a vers small camp, smaller than the Yosemite camps, with cabins for 2 or 3. The hike in is 11 miles along the High Sierra Trail and it is beautiful. If you get reservations, you could do your first night at Wuksachi or at Grand Grove Village, hike in and spend your second night at Bearpaw. You would need an intermediate night somewhere the nigh tafter hiking out, as you probably wouldn't want to drive all the way to Tuolumne Meadows from the trailhead after the hike.

Tallahassee Florida
6. Re: Which would you choose Sequioa park or Kings canyon

That could be possibly option too.Looks very nice but seems like it is quiet expensive &175 per person a night.Is it worthy?Also does somebody knows 12 y. old child rate?I could not find that information anywhere.

Tallahassee Florida
7. Re: Which would you choose Sequioa park or Kings canyon

More and more I am looking at the Bearpaw more and more I like it.Now is somebody know how difficult is it to make reservation for end of June.Do I have to be at land line and have redial 66 for busy signal,or will I be on the hold for the next representative?

Sequoia National...
8. Re: Which would you choose Sequioa park or Kings canyon

@jilkovina, in past years the $175 per person rate has been the same for both adults and children, and includes breakfast and dinner each day. I'm still trying to get confirmation on the rates for next year, but from what I'm hearing most people are saying they are not changing. If I find out otherwise I'll be sure to post a response and let you know.

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
reviews: 42
9. Re: Which would you choose Sequioa park or Kings canyon

If the 12 year old can share a tent with 2 adults ( child sleeps on the floor) then the charge is $75. The " floor person" must bring their own sleeping bag and pad, but otherwise they are treated just like guests paying full price. The food there is very good, by the way.

I am not sure I understand your question about phones. You can call from either a land line or cellphone; if you get a busy signal you redial. I got into the queue on my first attempt, right at 7:00 am, and was on hold for about ten minutes. But I got my first choice of dates.

Late June is probably not as popular as altering the season. Depending on the year, there may still be some snow on the trail, and it is possible it could still be closed. But I think most years they are open by then.

The six cabins sort of spill down the slope of a large slab of granite, right at the edge of a canyon, with spectacular views. But you would not want to try sleepwalking there.

The cabins are a bit nicer than the Yosemite high Siera camps, and the showers are a nice benefit. Plus all the cabins are privae, for 2 or 3 of ourownparty; no sharing with strangers. So I think itis worth the slight extra cost over Yosemite.

Edited: 12:49 am, December 14, 2012
Tallahassee Florida
10. Re: Which would you choose Sequioa park or Kings canyon

Enzian ,Thank you for great answer.

I am getting exited!

I just want to make sure that I will get it,so I was thinking to call from landline where you can hit 66 and it will notify you when the line is not busy.

You can not do this from cell phone.I took off for whole morning on January 2nd. so I can call.But from my past experience calling Phantom ranch at Grand canyon the line was busy for first 30 minutes when they are open and than when I finally made it through it was sold out.I was able to get reservation later when somebody canceled,but it had to be another day,

So far we are planning to stay first 2 nights at San Francisco,than stay at Wuksachi lodge,than 2 nghts HSC Bearpaw,than Fresno Hilton Homewood on the half way,thanTuolumne 1 nights,than Vogelsgang HSC ,Merced Lake HSC

(i have the reservation) than spend the night at LYV( I have no reservation yet)

Half Dome ,Yosemite Valey Curry village spend the night and back to San Francisco.

Just have to hope that weather will cooperate and I will get all permits and reservation and all logistics for this trip should be done!

Get answers to your questions about Sequoia and Kings...