We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving time from three rivers into the park, and from park...

Which Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
arlington
reviews: 5
Driving time from three rivers into the park, and from park...

Does anyone know how long it takes to get to the park from the holiday inn in three rivers, and about how long it would take to get to Morro Bay from the park?

Santa Clarita...
reviews: 4
1. Re: Driving time from three rivers into the park, and from park...

According to mapquest, it will take 3 1/2 hours of straight driving, and it is about 165 miles. The drive is across central California and seems long, and somewhat boring. In spite of this, several years ago we found the drive rather "interesting" (maybe because we thought we were in the middle of nowhere).

www.mapquest.com

Pismo Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach
reviews: 88
2. Re: Driving time from three rivers into the park, and from park...

In answer to the first part of your question, it should not take long at all to get to the park from Three Rivers.

Depending on where you leave the park to come to Morro Bay - From Three Rivers should be about 3.5 as suggested. I never find this drive boring as the central California valley is the bread basket to the world. So much farming and crops you have never seen! Orange groves, lettuce, grapes, cotton and thousands of milk cows. It's a pretty interesting place. Also, half way there is the James Dean memorial - where he had his unfortunate accident and died. This is in Cholame.

Next you travel over some easy mountains and TA DA you are in Paso Robles wine country. You could stop at any of the wineries and have a wonderful time on your way to Morro Bay. I highly recommend Tobin James - the big yellow barn. It is always a party there. You can take either the 41 or the 46 over the last mountains from 10l to the 1 and there sprawled before you is the ocean.

Have a great trip!

New York City, New...
reviews: 7
3. Re: Driving time from three rivers into the park, and from park...

It won't take long to get to the park boundary from Three Rivers, but it will take the better part of an hour to get up to where the giant sequoias grow. It's a steep drive of about 20 miles and 5000 feet of climbing from the park entrance to the first sequoias at Giant Forest.

Santa Clarita...
reviews: 4
4. Re: Driving time from three rivers into the park, and from park...

Yes, as mentioned the road up to the Sequoias is steep. 130 curves and 12 switchbacks. Last June, we stayed at Holiday Inn in Three Rivers and took an all day tour in a van with Sequoia Tours. Paul, the owner, driver and tourguide, was so informataive and added so much to our day. He has always lived in the area and is very knowledgeable. It was a special time at the General Sherman Tree because my husband's name is Herman - and we covered up the "S" and took his picture. He stood there and looked the part!

Orange, California
reviews: 9
5. Re: Driving time from three rivers into the park, and from park...

I was staying just outside the South Entrance to the Park. On my last day I decided to drive all of Generals Highway to the North entrance to see the whole drive and then go home back to Orange County, CA from the North entrance. I decided to take the 245 highway back to Visalia. Let me tell you, it would've been much better to drive right back down to the South entrance and leave from there. The 245 is very windy and limits you to 30 mph at best in most parts. This makes for a very very long drive. Mostly empty land (some scattered farm land) with no scenery at all. It was the only really downer in a great visit to the Park.

Get answers to your questions about Sequoia and Kings...