We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chains in November?

Which Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Chains in November?

We will be renting a minivan for our stay in California. We are staying at Wuksachi Lodge for 2 nights in mid November. We do not have tire chains with this rental. Will that be a problem for getting into the park?

San Jose
Destination Expert
for California
reviews: 74
1. Re: Chains in November?

The need for chains depends on whether or not there is a snow storm. If there is enough unplowed snow on the road, then chains will be required. I know that at Yosemite it is required that people carry chains in the car all wintrr long so if chains are required, people areprepared. I checked the Sequoia web site to see if there is the similar requirement at Sequoia, but didnt see anything about that.

New York City, New...
2. Re: Chains in November?

thank you for the reply

Sequoia National...
3. Re: Chains in November?

Snow chains are required to be carried in all vehicles during the winter months. It's impossible to predict what the weather will be like, but in a "normal" year we usually don't get our first major snow fall until around Thanksgiving so most likely there will not be snow on the roads during your visit.

San Jose
Destination Expert
for California
reviews: 74
4. Re: Chains in November?

I am glad that you chimed in about the requirement to carry chains all winter Wuksachi - I knew someone would know for sure. I wish that requirement was easily found on the NPS website though.

This already appears not to be a normal year since the mountains already got snow fall and it is only October. I flew over the Sierras yesterday and was really suprised by all the snow on the ground. But it is anybody's guess if there will be snow storms next month.

New York City, New...
5. Re: Chains in November?

Thanks for the info. Where would we get the chains? The rental company doesn't supply them?

San Francisco, Ca
reviews: 45
6. Re: Chains in November?

Check with your rental company to see if you are allowed to install chains on the car. If your rental car has snow tires, I don't believe you're required to have chains in "most" circumstances. But call the rental company to be sure... they may offer a "ski-erized" car, which I think includes snow tires. Or you can purchase chains from a store like Target, hardware stores, etc..

Las Vegas
reviews: 67
7. Re: Chains in November?

The chain law is a state law, not NPS. You can get a ticket.

8. Re: Chains in November?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, December 16, 2013