We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day 10....California road trip...Kings Canyon NP

Which Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, tx
reviews: 20
Day 10....California road trip...Kings Canyon NP

Day 10...Wed. 9/19/12

Had another good, early start out of Yosemite Valley....per advice here...and confirmed by the rangers...took Hwy 41 to Fresno...then 180 east to SEKI...

First stop in King's Canyon was the visior center....while there, one of the rangers looked up and said "another tour bus"....what was happening is that foreign visitors...French, German, etc...were cancelling Yosemite visits and coming to SEKI instead...because of the hantivirus scare...of course, we all know that those smart little rodents can tell exactly where the park boundaries are...and they dare not set foot in Grant Grove Village...where my reservation was for the night.

But first....a drive down the Kings Canyon Scenic Byway...hwy 180 to road's end....a big thumbs up for this drive....simply outstanding....the thing is....it gets better and better the further you go. Pulled over and stopped for photos many, many times...Juinction View...Yucca Point....Grizzly Falls....Roaring River Falls....and then finally Zumwalt Meadow.

Zumwalt Meadow...as has been described...is a 'mini' Yosemite Valley...has the high 2000 ft wall of rock.....a stream....and a pretty little meadow. Went on the path for the short hike to the meadow....crossed the footbridge....followed the path around to zumwalt....very pretty...very nice....there were other tourists on the trail....not many....but a few. Reached Zumwalt Meadow and decided to veer off and walk down closer to the river....noticed that no one else was around me...it was a pretty little river and could only imagine what the whole area would be like in the spring or rainy season....so was right down at the edge of the river...when a crackling noise was heard on the other side of the river....kept looking over there....it was about 30 feet to the other side...and there was big black bear....when this happens....your heart rate immediately jumps about 40 beats....so here you are...out in the middle of nowhere....alone....and a black bear was 30 feet away....and then he starts crossing the river!.....swimming over to my side.....

.....to be continued.

Santa Clarita...
reviews: 4
1. Re: Day 10....California road trip...Kings Canyon NP

....a "cliff hanger"! Have enjoyed the very interesting reports!

Houston, tx
reviews: 20
2. Re: Day 10....California road trip...Kings Canyon NP

Day 10...continued

a couple things go thru your mind in a situation like this....regarding bear attacks..."if it's black, fight back...if it's brown, fall to the ground"....a lone hiker was killed by a bear this summer up in Denali....and 'talk to the bear".....

....."go away bear...go away....hey bear....go away"....the bear was now swimming over to my side...but diagonally....he crossed maybe 50 feet upstream and disappeared into the grass.....whew!....that was sure exciting....did manage to take a few shaky pictures...even some video (can video be posted to TA?)...retraced my steps back from Zumwalt Meadow to the parking area...now it was time to get back to civilization.

Drove down a little further to Road's End....very nice....stopped at Knapp's Cabin....Cedar Grove Visitor Center....(the ranger said their bears were 'kinda skittish'....and when asked about exploring boyden Cave....'we have the earth's largest trees and one of the deepest canyons....that's what were famous for".....many great photo ops on the road back....such a beautiful canyon....would highly recommend all visitors to the area...take the drive all the way to Road's End...time well spent.

The shadows were creeping deeper now....but still made the stop at General Grant Grove to see the General Grant Tree....believe it is #3 on the list of world's largest trees by volume.

Back in Grant Grove Village...made the mistake of eating dinner before locating my cabin....it was dark....the cabins were hard to find....but it all worked out....these cabins were a little better than curry Village....hard sided....and plenty of space between them for privacy...a wonderful place to stay...sequoias were right there as well.

so day 10...Kings Canyon National Park....are you kidding me!....staring down a huge black bear at a stone's throw distance....not just another great day....this was an unexpected moutaintop experience....priceless...one of the neatest things these eyes have ever seen....Next up for Day 11....Sequoia NP.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
reviews: 87
3. Re: Day 10....California road trip...Kings Canyon NP

Unexpected sightings of bears are the best. You may see more in Sequoia.

Of course, there are no grizzlies (brown bears) in California (regardless of what color your bear was).

So Cal
reviews: 64
4. Re: Day 10....California road trip...Kings Canyon NP

My sis went cross-eyed when I tried to explain the black vs brown/grizzly thing.

Yes, you can post video to TA (although I think recent changes to their pic/vid have made things harder to find). I think you need to either be in an attraction/hotel/etc, or start from the Contributions page in your profile (click on Videos, then Upload More Videos).

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
reviews: 776
5. Re: Day 10....California road trip...Kings Canyon NP

>>..."if it's black, fight back...if it's brown, fall to the ground" <<

Have never heard that one before. What do you do if it's white? [ Trying to think of a word that rhymes with white...]

;-)

Black bears are not always black, of course. They sometimes are brown, cinnamon or even blonde but of course not nearly as large as a grizzly / brown bear and have a completely different temperment.

6. Re: Day 10....California road trip...Kings Canyon NP

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, November 02, 2013