We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sequoia in May

Which Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Plymouth, United...
reviews: 1
Sequoia in May

I'm getting married next May (2013), and my finacée and I would love to visit Yosemite for our honeymoon. However, I'm struggling to find accomodation in the Valley, so i'm thinking that Sequoia might be a good alternative. We both enjoy hiking any anything outdoors, so these both seem like ideal places to go. Currently, we are looking at a 14 night trip, with 3 or 4 nights in San Francisco, leaving 10 or 11 nights for Yosemite and/or Sequoia. As we are getting married in May, close to then would seem the ideal time to visit due to the waterfalls being in full flow, but we both think the Tuolumne Meadow looks stunning, and from what i've read, that isn't accessible until much later. Due to this, we are thinking that late August/Early September would be a great time to visit.

Would we be better staying in one, central location rather than splitting our time? Are there any "hidden gems" for places to stay? Likewise, are there any "hidden gem" trails, that will be quiet and allow us to see Sequoia at its best? Bearpaw sounds incredible, will it be accessible in May? Finally, would people recommend staying in SF before or after the trip to Yosemite? I have no idea about the logistics of getting in and out of the city. We will be renting a car.

Thanks very much for any help.

Rob.

Sequoia National...
1. Re: Sequoia in May

10-11 nights is plenty of time to see both Yosemite and Sequoia. If it was me, I'd probably try to do both. Bearpaw doesn't open until mid-June, but depending on trail conditions you might be able to hike up the High Sierra trail in May. Unfortunately May can be a tough month to predict what road and weather conditions will be like, but you should definitely be able to go wherever you like if you come later in the summer.

It really doesn't matter in what order you see things. Yosemite is a bit closer to San Francisco vs. Sequoia though. It takes about 3.5-4 hours to get from SF to Yosemite Valley, roughly 4 hours to drive from the Valley to Sequoia, and about 4-5 hours to drive from Sequoia back to SF. If it was up to me, I'd probably see things in that order, making a progression from big city to busy park to quiet park, but it's all a matter of personal preference.

It would be a good idea to post in the Yosemite forum if you have not already done so to get an idea of what trails you might be interested in, but there are many hikes in Sequoia that will show you what makes it such an amazing place. Personally I would recommend the Big Baldy trail, a hike up to the top of Moro Rock, and of course the trail to General Sherman. These latter two will probably be the busiest areas in the park as they are short trails and popular sights, but they are must-see attractions IMO. The Big Baldy hike should be right up your alley though. If you're feeling ambitious, you can also try the hike to Alta Peak, but that may depend on the snow situation as well. Hopefully this helps!

Edited: 8:02 pm, October 23, 2012
2. Re: Sequoia in May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, October 25, 2013