We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Construction delays on Hwy 198

Which Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fountain Valley...
Construction delays on Hwy 198

How bad are the construction delays on weekends? Bad enough to take Hwy 180 even though we will be staying at Wuksachi Lodge and driving from Los Angeles?

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
reviews: 87
1. Re: Construction delays on Hwy 198

Last time we were there, there was no actual construction on weekends - but there was a section of the road that was only 1 lane and had one of those stoplight monitor sections. The wait was about 15 minutes - not bad and really rather peaceful and scenic. I would never take 180 if I could take the 198, it's one of my favorite drives (this was about 9 months ago). -_-

The first sight of Moro Rock is exciting, but then as you get closer, you realize how far below it you actually were when you first saw it. Being right beneath it is spectacular (there are a couple of great pull outs) and well worth the 15-20 minute wait coming up!

Sequoia National...
2. Re: Construction delays on Hwy 198

According to the latest construction schedule posted by the National Park Service, there are one hour delays on Monday-Thursday during the day from 7am to 5pm (traffic is allowed to go through the construction zone every hour on the hour). At all other times there are 20 minute delays, with traffic being restricted to one lane as Cookie mentioned.

Fountain Valley...
3. Re: Construction delays on Hwy 198

Back to Hwy 198 then. Thank you.

4. Re: Construction delays on Hwy 198

I was just there last weekend and I only waited about 10 minutes while going up the mountain and about 15 to come back down. Good luck...

New York City, New...
5. Re: Construction delays on Hwy 198

Hi All,

We will be going from LA to the Wuksachi Lodge on Monday. Nov 12- What time would be best to leave LA in order to get to the lodge before dark and not get stuck in too much construction.

Sequoia National...
6. Re: Construction delays on Hwy 198

@sawgrassNY, it takes roughly 5 hours to make the drive from LA depending on where you are leaving from, and any traffic you may run into can also have a huge impact, but generally speaking if you leave by noon you should get there before dark. The current road construction schedule states that there are hour-long delays from 7am to 5pm on Mondays-Thursdays (traffic passes through every hour on the hour), and 20 minute delays at all other times.

7. Re: Construction delays on Hwy 198

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 am, December 15, 2013