We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help I called the Lodgepole site/recorded said closed

Which Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Del Mar, California
reviews: 24
Please help I called the Lodgepole site/recorded said closed

Hi I called the main # at Lodgepole campground and the recorded message said "Lodgepole closed as of 10/10 and camping is in parking lot. I got a hold of someone at the main Lodgepole # and he said they are contained to only rv or car camping in Lodgepole and only 10 sites as walk ins available and they all filled up last night so the chances would be bad to get one of those sites. He recommended Azalia but we are coming up from the south. His recommendation was Potwisha..what does anyone else think?

Thanks I will be checking from my car driving up.

Thanks Shannon

Fresno, California
1. Re: Please help I called the Lodgepole site/recorded said closed

Potwisha is a good campground near the Kaweah River in the foothill portion of the park, about 2,100 ft elevation (Lodgepole is 6,700 ft). So a different camping experience in terms of things like tree types (its under Oak trees instead of evergreens). If you need a quick run for supplies or services you'll probably rely on Three Rivers about 10 miles away. I prefer tent camping in the higher elevations but Potwisha is still OK.

But Potwisha's location adds a factor to your drive in the park. Potwisha sits below the curviest part of the General's Highway so you will drive those curves at the start and end of each day to get to/from the main sights. Depends upon your thoughts about doing that drive the next few days.

I've used Azalea many times because of the proximity to home for me. Azalea includes a tent only section so when those sites are available it allows being away from people using RVs/trailers. It also is an easy hike to the General Grant Tree and well as Grant Grove Village. Coming from the south then staying on 99 to 180 to Azalea would take an extra 30-40 minutes.

I may not get a chance to check back to the thread this afternoon, enjoy the trip no matter where you stay.

Edited: 2:31 pm, October 12, 2012
2. Re: Please help I called the Lodgepole site/recorded said closed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:18 am, December 15, 2013