We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

October 12th weekend in Sequoia and need some advice.

Which Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Del Mar, California
Level Contributor
4 posts
47 reviews
October 12th weekend in Sequoia and need some advice.

I set up 2 profiles by accident. Unfortunately we can't leave San Diego until 1pm to drive up to south entrance and I am determined to get into the park that night. Question: All lodgepole sites are first come first served..will it be sold out by 7 or 8pm this weekend of October 12th? The hotels seem to be even though we are tenting it..is that an indication of it being a busy weekend? Do they close the entrance at a certain time? Should I be so ambitious as to want to ge to Lodge Pole in one day or should we settle for a lower sight at foot of park? Taking 2 teenagers who are so excited to go with limited time. Would appreciate any suggestions! (other than leaving earlier :(

Shannon

Monterey, California
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
23 reviews
1. Re: October 12th weekend in Sequoia and need some advice.

Hi,

I was up there two weeks ago and there were many available campsites.

The park is always open....entrances are never closed. There just wont be anyone in the booth to charge admission.

You can camp down at Potwisha or Buckeye Flat (if its still open for the season...its my favorite lower campground on the river.)

Del Mar, California
Level Contributor
4 posts
47 reviews
2. Re: October 12th weekend in Sequoia and need some advice.

Thank you for your reply. I really want to push to get to Lodgepole we are practicing the drill of tent set up in the dark tonight with headlamps on. If there is no ranger at the entrance, do you just randomly drive in and take what is not taken? I remember doing this years ago and someone showed up at midnight and we had to tear down and move. I have printed every page of the websites and read all the information on the internet but there is nothing about specifically driving in well after dark and the procedure at that point. Any help or advice on site numbers (as I am writing the desirables down in case we do have a choice on arrival) would really be appreciated.

Shannon

Del Mar, California
Level Contributor
4 posts
47 reviews
3. Re: October 12th weekend in Sequoia and need some advice.

Thank you for all your help and advice! we did make it to Azalea Campground on Friday and it was just terrific! It rained Friday night but Saturday and Sunday it was so warm. Just to check I drove down to Lodgepole and sure enough there were only 10 sites with a note from the ranger that these sites were ONLY for tent campers and if any tent campers were found in any other sites they would be fined. So Lodgepole was pretty desolate. Azalea had most of their sites open and 95% were taken by Saturday morning.

Shannon Biszantz

4. Re: October 12th weekend in Sequoia and need some advice.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:18 pm, December 15, 2013