We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Want to visit Sequoia NP in winter

Which Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 29
Want to visit Sequoia NP in winter

Hi, I asked about Sequoia in the California forum not knowing there was a more specific forum. Got some great information there but still after information on visiting the NP in mid December.

I will be traveling with my family (2a 2 teenagers) in December around California/Arizona in a rental car and wanted to stop for a couple of days in Sequoia on the way to Yosemite. I'm after information on what tours or options there are for visiting the NP mid December. I've heard that rental cars companies don't allow snow chains so I'm trying to find out alternatives to getting in and around the NP.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
reviews: 87
1. Re: Want to visit Sequoia NP in winter

Avis allows chains, but requires you to pay for any damage you cause with them. You may very well get in and out in December without needing them - last winter, I believe it was, road stayed mainly open (both of the roads, I think) for all of December. It was a dry winter though.

I don't know of any winter time tour operators to SNP.

Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 29
2. Re: Want to visit Sequoia NP in winter

Thanks for the information Cookie. Looking more and more like we will have to see what conditions are like when we are there and make the call at the time. Would love to get there though. Thanks again.

3. Re: Want to visit Sequoia NP in winter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 pm, December 15, 2013