We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alta Sierra Ski resort

Which Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mountain View...
Alta Sierra Ski resort

Did anyone ski there? Is there a good place to stay nearby in January? Alta Sierra Ski resort recommends some place (e.g. Alta Sierra Cottage), but I could not find any reviews

thanks!

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 344
1. Re: Alta Sierra Ski resort

Why would you go to Alta Sierra? It is a tiny, tiny local place mostly for day skiers from Bakersfield and the southern Central Valley.

Mountain View...
2. Re: Alta Sierra Ski resort

thanks for the reply!

We will be driving from Las Vegas to SF in the beginning of January. we wanted to visit Sequoia or Yosemite parks, but from their websites it seems that most site will be probably closed. The idea was to see some nature, and maybe sequoia trees. Do you maybe have other suggestions for this time of year?

thanks!

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
reviews: 87
3. Re: Alta Sierra Ski resort

I've never been to Alta Sierra. Grant's Grove in Kings Canyon should be open and accessible for much of the winter...

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
reviews: 56
4. Re: Alta Sierra Ski resort

Y G

Neither Sequoia Kings Canyon NP (SEKI) nor Yosemite NP will be closed in January, but there will be some seasonal road closures within the Parks.

Pop over to the Yosemite forum if you want some ideas for a January visit. The road to Badger Pass ski area (skiing, boarding, snowshoeing, tubing, cross country skiing) will definitely be open. And the three groves of Giant Sequoias are open to folks who want to walk in.

Either SEKI or Yosemite will satisfy your desire for nature and Giant Sequoias.

I hope you have a few days to enjoy this drive ... Las Vegas -> Death Valley NP -> Sequoia NP -> Yosemite NP -> San Francisco. That could easily be a great week!

Mountain View...
5. Re: Alta Sierra Ski resort

thanks a lot for your answers! I think we will drive Las Vegas -> Death Valley NP -> Sequoia NP -> San Francisco.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
reviews: 56
6. Re: Alta Sierra Ski resort

Hi again Y G

Even though Death Valley NP and Sequoia - Kings Canyon NP are geographically close on the map, it take a long time to drive around the southern end of the mountain range to get from DVNP to SEKI. Be prepared for a long-ish drive. Are you familiar with Tule Fog? If it's foggy in the Central Valley on Hwy 99, get off the highway and wait for the fog to lift; it's incredibly dangerous.

Have a great time. Be sure to get lodging reservations & visitation tips for Death Valley NP ... perfect in January!

Edited: 9:40 am, October 08, 2012
Lake Isabella...
7. Re: Alta Sierra Ski resort

Alta Sierra Ski resort is a small ski resort that has everything a skier or snowboarder would want! There is a small lift for beginners, and another lift that takes riders to the top of the hill so they have access to more of the mountain. There are jumps and rails set up for those who are more experienced, but there is also a great area for those learning how to ski or snowboard. There is also a tube park that everyone in the family can enjoy. This is a very family centered and extremely friendly resort, and i personally learned to ski there when i was 3 and have been going there ever since. I love this resort even more than the bigger resorts that are farther away and MUCH more expensive! Perfect for family trips and vacations :)

8. Re: Alta Sierra Ski resort

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:15 pm, January 06, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Sequoia and Kings...