We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One week at Sequoia - starting next week - HELP! :-)

Which Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
120 posts
40 reviews
One week at Sequoia - starting next week - HELP! :-)

I had posted on this forum waaaaaaaaaay back when I first started planning this trip which was at the beginning of this year.

Our vacation is almost here. We are flying in to LA next Thursday - spending the first two nights in Oxnard and one day at the Channel Islands - and then spending one week in Three Rivers.

I know people on this forum did not think I was the wisest person alive to book one week at Three Rivers but it "is what is is" and the house we rented will be comfortable for our family and allow us to cook in and pack picnic lunches and even do laundry.

There are five of us - my three teenage boys - one who will be turning 18 while we are away and a 15 and 12 year old.

I have read and read but still have no soild plans set in stone. We enjoy moderate hiking and being outside. I think the boys might enjoy the cave tour too.

Any recommendations of must see items and great hikes? :-)

Thanks in advance!

Sequoia National...
Level Contributor
462 posts
1. Re: One week at Sequoia - starting next week - HELP! :-)

Don't worry, luck is on your side. Sequoia is a very go-at-your-own-pace sort of park, and with a full week to spend in the area you can easily just make the drive up the mountain and decide what you want to do or see each day when you get there. Crystal Cave tickets can be purchased same-day so you just have to decide on a time that works for you to do that, and if you want to participate in any of the free ranger programs then you'll need to keep an eye on the schedule so you don't miss anything (see www.nps.gov/seki/parknews/newsreleases.htm, or just check the schedule at the visitor centers), but aside from that you are free to do whatever you want whenever it is convenient.

That said, here are a few things you won't want to miss:

- Climb to the top of Moro Rock

- Drive through Tunnel Log

- Hike the Crescent Meadow Loop Trail and see Tharp's Log (these first three points of interest are in the same area)

- Tour Crystal Cave

- See the General Sherman Tree and hike the Congress Trail (starts at the base of the tree)

- Have dinner at the Wolverton BBQ (and watch the Living History program that takes place there if you're interested)

- Visit Grant Grove and see the General Grant Tree (aka the Nation's Christmas Tree)

- Drive down into Kings Canyon and visit Cedar Grove

There are *many* other things to see/do while you're in the area, but you can always stop at a visitor center for more suggestions on things you might be interested in. Hope this helps!

Level Contributor
120 posts
40 reviews
2. Re: One week at Sequoia - starting next week - HELP! :-)

Very helpful -I am starting to get a better idea. I have a Frommer's Travel Guide which I bought for our trip to Yosemite two years ago but it has a small section in it on Sequoia and King's Canyon. I have been reading through the National Park Website and am starting to get a better feel.

What you have suggested all sounds great. We will probably want to drive up to Mineral King one day to see that part of the park.

I am excited that we have an entire week. I am looking forward to exploring at our leisure - as you have said.

I am not excited about the construction but it looks like I can get a schedule and try to plan my travel around it day by day.

KCNP, California
Level Contributor
47 posts
3. Re: One week at Sequoia - starting next week - HELP! :-)

Hi FamilyofFive,

On the drive down to Kings Canyon, I recommend swimming at Hume Lake -- great views (there is also have a great snack bar w/awesome milkshakes for the kids at the Christian Camp @ Hume), additionally you can rent boats, kayaks, bikes, etc. from the camp at very reasonable rates.

Following 180 to Cedar Grove, I recommend stopping by Boyden Cavern - great little cave tour (tours on the half-hour); stop and look at Grizzly Falls, on your left just passed Boyden. At Cedar Grove I recommend horseback-riding at the Cedar Grove Stables, hiking Zumwalt Meadow, checking out Roaring River Falls & the Mist Trail if you have time and your kids a good hikers.

Other great family hikes are Tokopah Falls (from Lodgepole Campground) &

Big Baldy Trail (trailhead just North of Horse Corral Meadows turnoff on 198 from Giant Forest towards Grant Grove/KC).

Have a great trip!

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,514 posts
87 reviews
4. Re: One week at Sequoia - starting next week - HELP! :-)

Last time we were at Hume Lake, there were boat rentals too.

Please be careful in the water, even at Three Rivers. It gets hot there so there's temptation to go into the river, but be alert and stay downstream from the bridge, at least.

Beetle Rock (again, keep the kids in your line of vision) is a great place for a little bouldering and just checking out a micro-environment (nature center there too, old growth redwood grove adjacent, with lots of downed logs for climbing).

IIRC, kids don't need permits to fish inside the park itself.

Lodgepole Creek, with or without a hike to the falls, is a lot of fun (nature center for kids there too, also snack bar).

Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
1,817 posts
1 review
5. Re: One week at Sequoia - starting next week - HELP! :-)

I wanna go river rafting.

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
5,927 posts
22 reviews
6. Re: One week at Sequoia - starting next week - HELP! :-)

"I wanna go river rafting."

The Kern and Kings Rivers have rafting but not in the Park.

There's also some river swimming holes that the older kids might enjoy:

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
5,894 posts
52 reviews
7. Re: One week at Sequoia - starting next week - HELP! :-)

I have to tell you I thought about you as we were driving in and out of the park. I can't imagine having to make that drive each day. Delays were very long this year. Be sure to know the road closure schedule each day so you don't get stuck.

The suggestion of Hume Lake is a good one. There is a nice path/hike around the entire lake. rent boats at the Camp. Snack bar has excellent food, be sure to get a milkshake.

YES! be sure to visit Crystal Cave. You will need to get tickets first thing in the morning, or day before if you can, as the tours do sell out. You will get them at Foothills Visitors center. Give yourself plenty of time to drive there and walk to the cave.

Yes there is rafting in the area, but this year the water levels are REALLY low so that may not be as much fun as years past.

Be sure to eat breakfast or lunch at We Three Bakery. Our favorite spot in Three Rivers. The Chicken Enchilada breakfast is wonderful. And baked goods are to die for.

Have a great trip

8. Re: One week at Sequoia - starting next week - HELP! :-)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, August 22, 2013