We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Late afternoon in the Giant Forest

Which Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 1
Late afternoon in the Giant Forest

Hi All,

I am thinking that perhaps we (two adults and a beautiful baby girl) will fly into Visalia on October 9th and land at around 1:30. We're gong to Visalia really only to see the Giant Forest. From the airport I'm think ing I will rent a car and drive to the Giant Forest (about 90 mins). This means I get there between 4 and 5pm (I have to account some time for feeding the baby and picking up our luggage and all).

So is that too late? I plan to see General Sherman and the trails around it (see the leaning tree), the Giant Forest Museum, the tunnel log, and maybe a cave. I imagine little light gets through all those trees later on in the afternoon, but will it be too dark around that time?

I'm open to spending the night inside the park, at one of the lodges (no camping). Can anyone recommend a place? I'm also thinking of leaving the Giant Forest that evening and heading south to Anaheim, but I don't plan on getting there that night. I'll probably spend the night in Bakersfield or some other city along the way and do the rest the next morning.

Thanks for the input... we're still trying to sort out our many options.

San Diego...
reviews: 29
11. Re: Late afternoon in the Giant Forest

I would just make your flight to LAX. You can drive from Los Angeles to Visalia, it's not all that far. 195 miles from LAX to Visalia. About 3 hours or a bit more in ideal conditions, more if you drive during a heavy traffic time. Book 2 nights at a motel in Visalia, or Three Rivers, not much difference in time. The key is to book 2 nights, so that you will have a full day to explore Sequoia National Park. Drive up to Sequoia National Park, see the Giant Forest and whatever else you want to see, then drive back down to Visalia. Then on to your next destination, which I guess is Anaheim. 215 miles from Visalia to Anaheim, about 4 hours of driving time, maybe a bit more, maybe a lot more if you run into heavy LA traffic such as afternoon to evening on a weekday. This would require 2 nights in Visalia, so that would take up 2 nights of your trip. But you would see the Giant Forest and it would not cost $1000.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
reviews: 48
12. Re: Late afternoon in the Giant Forest

As much as I LOVE Sequoia, it sounds to me like you need to think about skipping it this trip. Southern California is a beautiful area and you will have plenty to see there.

So Cal
reviews: 64
13. Re: Late afternoon in the Giant Forest

I'm with Norgetroll. If it were me, I wouldn't go that far out of my way for this, even though I love Sequoia/Kings. With a baby, it's a bigger hassle again. I would visit Sequoia on another trip, one planned specifically for the central part of the state. (E.g. perhaps a loop with coast - Yosemite - Sequoia, or SF - Yosemite - Sequoia. Etc.)

It really does depend on how badly you want to see this, and how much travel hassle all three of you can take and still enjoy the experience.

St paul
reviews: 10
14. Re: Late afternoon in the Giant Forest

We are flying in to vegas new years and driving up to San Francisco the next day, by way of 99 past yosemite and Sequoia, never having been there before. 8 day trip, looping back along the coast back to Vegas, pretty much skipping LA because of enough to see already.

You all sound familiar with this area - how far in a rental car can we get in to see Yosemite with out dealing with chains? I have a temp hotel reservation in Fresno. Can't find a decent park map that shows the viewing spots and google maps doesn't either. Traveling with my 18 + 20 yr old kids, not packing heavy coats as flying from Minnesnota. I'd skip this part entirely, (going to get AWAY from snow ya know) but my son would like to see Yosemite.

Thanks for help and advice

So Cal
reviews: 64
15. Re: Late afternoon in the Giant Forest

Marj, you've resurrected an old thread in the Kings Canyon/Sequoia forum; your question is about Yosemite, a completely different park. You really need to start your own thread in the Yosemite forum (or at least the California forum) - the users who know Yosemite aren't likely to see your question here.

16. Re: Late afternoon in the Giant Forest

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 am, December 17, 2013