We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sequoia Kings Canyon NP itenrary help

Which Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
United States
reviews: 28
Sequoia Kings Canyon NP itenrary help

My family will be arriving in Fresno at about 4 pm on Sat 8/11/12 and stayng two nights at Wusachi Lodge. What is best route and will there be traffic delays. Should I purchase Crystal Cave tks on way to Wusachi for next day? How long to drive from Fresno to Wusachi? Should we eat an early dinner in Fresono first?

San Diego...
reviews: 29
1. Re: Sequoia Kings Canyon NP itenrary help

You will have a lot more choices of places to eat in Fresno compared to places in the park, so I would eat in Fresno. Take Highway 180 east from Fresno, about 1 hour, to the entrance of Kings Canyon National Park. Once you enter the park, take the Generals' Highway south to Sequoia National Park. I'm guessing it will be about 1 hour from the time you enter the park until you reach the Wuksachi. You will pass near the Grant Grove on your way there, and if it is still light you could stop and take a stroll around that grove. That would be a nice reward after the long flight and drive. You can buy the tickets to the Crystal Cave tour at the Lodgepole Visitor Center, which is just beyond the Wuksachi, not too far away, so if you have time and the visitor center is still open, yes, you can buy them that day.

United States
reviews: 28
2. Re: Sequoia Kings Canyon NP itenrary help

Thank you for your expert advice

Parsippany, New...
reviews: 7
3. Re: Sequoia Kings Canyon NP itenrary help

We were there a few weeks ago and came from Fresno. There was a place someone recommend to us called the Little Red Schoolhouse or something like that. We didn't end up eating there, but I had checked out the menu and it looked good. I believe it was right outside of KC. You might want to do a search for it... If you ate dinner right outside the park, it would probably tide you over since you won't have any more options for real food until you're at Wuksachi. We left Fresno early in the morning, and didn't hit any traffic or construction on our way to Wuksachi.

I agree with BW, when you enter the park, go to the Grant Grove before heading down toward the hotel.

Fresno, California
4. Re: Sequoia Kings Canyon NP itenrary help

A Saturday night arrival, of course, means many restaurants will be busy for dinner.

Depending upon your food preference there would be a lot of choices in the Fresno area. If you have a specific meal type you would look for, just mention it and I'll see if I can recommend something convenient.

DisneyMom is thinking of The School House (in an old brick country school) on Highway 180 at Frankwood Avenue, midway between Grant Grove and Fresno (about 30-40 minute drive from the airport). Used to be popular under the old ownership years ago, but I have not had a chance to try it since it reopened under these new owners.

http://www.schoolhousesanger.com/

I also previously suggested a place known as both the Highway 180 Cafe and also as the Rare Steer Steakhouse. Doesn't look like much but gets good reviews on several sites. It is in Centerville, just a few miles from The School House.

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g33042-d86…

For another choice, there is also a small community called Squaw Valley on Highway 180 (different place than the better known ski area near Tahoe). I think choices there are limited to a pizza place and one other restaurant.

5. Re: Sequoia Kings Canyon NP itenrary help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, August 06, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Sequoia and Kings...