We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any advice on this 2 day plan?"

Which Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Georgia
reviews: 8
Any advice on this 2 day plan?"

I've read lots of info and this seems simple enough; however, I always value the Expert's opinions! : )

Will be leaving Ronald Reagan Library by 2 pm-ish on a Saturday afternoon and heading to SEKI via Grant Grove entrance. Have the following plans:

Sat night: Head into Park (see Grant Grove area either now or coming back through Monday depending on time) and down to Wuksachi for the night.

Sunday: Tour Sequoia area (via shuttle services?). Stay Wuksachi again.

Monday: head back to Grant Grove and down into King's Canyon, spend night at Cedar Grove

Tuesday: leave King's Canyon and head to Coast for the night.

We'll be planning to see all the standard Sequoia sites as listed on TA and NPS.gov. And I really LOVE to think I will attempt Moro Rock!!

ALSO, I can't seem to find any elevation information on the DRIVING elevations........Wuksachi is at about 7,400 or so......ANYTHING higher than that on this route? (I usually experience altitude issues a bove 8,000 ft)

Just wanted to get your thoughts as to whether this plan has a good flow to it.......THANKS for your thoughts/suggestions!

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
reviews: 87
1. Re: Any advice on this 2 day plan?"

As long as you're going during shuttle season (ends early September, usually), you can rely on the shuttle (although you won't need it if you are traveling at other times).

No, there's nothing much higher than about 7,400 on this route. Lodgepole is 7,200 I believe.

I'm concerned about your late departure from Simi Valley. First, there will be traffic on the 118 to the 5 and then up to the 99. It's going to take you six to seven hours, I predict (you'll need to gas up somewhere - and at rush hour, that alone can take some time). You'll miss the early part of rush hour on the 118, but you'll be hitting the Santa Clarita to Bakersfield stretch at rush hour. My experience is that Saturday is a little lighter there than a week day, but not by too much, so be aware that it will be at least 6 hours and getting dark as you reach Wuksachi. This is especially true as you are entering through Grant Grove (takes longer than the route through Three Rivers, but has less curves). Still, the road from the entrance to Wuksachi is plenty curvy enough for most people, with no enormous drop-offs - but enough change in elevation that you certainly must go the speed limit (35-45 mph) and watch for wildlife.

Moro Rock is below 7200 feet, so no problems there and it really is a fun hike. You are planning plenty of time for all the things you want to do and will have a great time (it's such a beautiful set of parks).

Just be sure you gas up before the Reagan library and hit the road promptly at 2 and you should do okay. It shouldn't be pitch dark for the last part your drive if it's summer time, and traffic luck stays with you. But you're cutting it close about the night driving.

2. Re: Any advice on this 2 day plan?"

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 10, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Sequoia and Kings...