We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need advice on Vegas circle trip: Bodie-Death Valley-Sequoia

Which Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Oakland, California
Need advice on Vegas circle trip: Bodie-Death Valley-Sequoia

Hi, all,

I've read a few posts here which I found very useful. So I want to post my own plan of Vegas trip circle for this august to get some advices. All advices are welcomed. Thanks in advance!

Starting point: SF bay area

Member: me and my parents (both in their late 60's)

Day 1: drive from home to Lee Vining through Yosemite (via 120). We've been to Yosemite Valley but not to Mono Lake via 120. I also want to drive to Bodie (Ghost town), but is it worth of additional 2 hrs drive? Plan to stay in Bishop CA for the night. (a little over 5 hrs driving from home if not to Bodie)

Day 2: Drive from Bishop to Death Valley, then to Vegas. (About 6 hrs drive). Plan not to stay too long in DV, just stop and go's, but any must-sees? I am a little concerned about long driving for these two days, but Bishop seems the best choice if just stay one night before Vegas. If to break into two nights, I am not sure how to arrange.

Middle of the trip: Stay in Vegas for a few days: relax and short trips around only.

2nd last day: Try to break down long drive back home, therefore plan to stop at three rivers for one night. (over 6 hrs drive per Google map, quite a long drive too )

last day: plan to drive to Sequoia National Park via 198, then heading home via 180, stop at Kings Canyon visitor center area. (about 6 hrs drive per Google map). No doubt that It will be a very long day too. And I am a little concerned about the winding road on 198. How's the comparison with HWY1 part near Big Sur I believe?

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
reviews: 87
1. Re: Need advice on Vegas circle trip: Bodie-Death Valley-Sequoia

Hi, Sundog. Don't worry too much about the 198. It does climb and climb, but I don't think it's as dramatically curvy as parts of Big Sur - or they're about the same. There are long stretches of fairly straight (and four lanes) at the bottom, then some 25 miles of winding road - very scenic, well walled-in, with pull-outs at frequent intervals. It's absolutely the most amazing and scenic way to enter Sequoia. First you see some little springs on some corners, and realize it's getting wetter. Then some Incense Cedars and finally, the most amazing grove of Sequoias!

2. Re: Need advice on Vegas circle trip: Bodie-Death Valley-Sequoia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:47 pm, July 09, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Sequoia and Kings...