We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camping in Sierra National Forest

Which Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego, CA
reviews: 5
Camping in Sierra National Forest

I'm planning a Labor Day weekend camping trip and looking for recommendations of great camping anywhere in the National Park or National Forest. I'm hoping there are some experts that might be willing to share their favorite spots. If you don't want to publicize your secret places, feel free to message me! :)

More specifically, here is what I'm looking for...

- first-come or dispersed camping

- river, creek or lakeside

- forest/shaded preferred

- no crowds, few people

- prefer at least a vault toilet, but can do without if its a great spot!

- running water would be nice, but not required

Thanks for your time!

San Diego, CA
1. Re: Camping in Sierra National Forest

Oops... title should have read "Camping in SEQUOIA National Forest" (though if you have recommendations in Sierra, I'll take those too!)

Edited: 5:35 pm, July 01, 2012
Las Vegas, Nevada
reviews: 48
2. Re: Camping in Sierra National Forest

In the National Forest there are many lovely sites. I think the ones near Hume Lake are nice, but there will be people there. Princess is also very pretty.

here is some info

forestcamping.com/dow/pacficsw/seqinfo.htm

Dorst in Sequoia NP is less crowded than Lodgepole, but there will still be people. It is a very nice area.

San Diego, CA
3. Re: Camping in Sierra National Forest

Hello Norgetroll, thanks for your quick response. Dorst and Princess are exactly the types of places I am trying to avoid.

I do use the forestcamping site regularly, but have never been to any of the first-come/dispersed forest camping in Sequoia NF, so I'm hoping someone has some great recommendations for those off-the-beaten-path spots! :) Thanks for your time!

Edited: 10:13 am, July 02, 2012
4. Re: Camping in Sierra National Forest

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:47 pm, July 09, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Sequoia and Kings...