We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lodging Question

Which Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Minneapolis...
reviews: 508
Lodging Question

My wife and I are planning a 4 night trip to the Parks in July 2013 and wanted to spend 2 days exploring Kings Canyon and 2 days in Sequoia National Park. Should we stay 2 nights in each Park or is there one central Lodge that we could stay and see both parks?

Monterey, California
reviews: 24
1. Re: Lodging Question

I would spend the first two nights in Cedar Grove down in King's Canyon itself and then spend two nights up in Sequoia at Wuksachi.

Reviews are posted on this forum regarding the lodging.

I've stayed at both many times.

Minneapolis...
2. Re: Lodging Question

Thanks larryjohn. Also, after reading dozens of old posts, I came across one that indicated that Grant Grove Cabins are central to both Parks (although the place does not look very central on a Park map). Have you ever stayed in Grant Grove and then toured both parks? I liked your original suggestion but am still thinking about it.

KCNP, California
3. Re: Lodging Question

Hi RockyJoe,

Grant Grove is centrally located. It is about a 45-60 minute drive to the Giant Forest Area of Sequoia, and a 45-60 minute drive to the Cedar Grove area of Kings Canyon. Grant Grove is also the location of the Grant Grove of Giant Sequoias, including the General Grant Tree, which is the third largest sequoia in the world.

Hope that helps!

Monterey, California
4. Re: Lodging Question

Yes I've stayed pretty much at all locations available since I've been going to the parks every year since 1978.

I still would stick with my original suggestion just to avoid the driving into the canyon and to the giant forest back and forth daily.

Minneapolis...
5. Re: Lodging Question

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions. Since I am coming from Las Vegas I am going with larryjohns idea and stay South first and then move to the Canyon on day 3 (stopping at Grant Grove on the way).

Monterey, California
6. Re: Lodging Question

PS: If you have a cooler take some food with you since food options are limited.

7. Re: Lodging Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 pm, July 09, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Sequoia and Kings...