We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need assistance with Kings Canyon and Sequoia NP

Which Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Phoenix, Arizona
reviews: 48
Need assistance with Kings Canyon and Sequoia NP

Hi,

We will be staying in Yosemite from August 22-24, 2012. We wanted to drive down to KC and SNP on the 25th. Can we see the sites of both parks in one day without burning ourselves out too bad (driving)? We will be traveling with two people in their 70's who do not hike. We just want to see the sites. Should I book a room inside the park for one day? I have read about the road construction. Will this make it too long of a day if we book a room in Visalia rather than inside the park?

michigan
reviews: 6
1. Re: Need assistance with Kings Canyon and Sequoia NP

Hi PinkBonBon - Just came back from that area 2 days ago. Visalia is a LONG way from those two NP's - not doable at all. We stayed 2 nights in the Wuksachi Lodge - it's very modern and not terribly convenient as far as parking, getting your bags to the room, the dining room is a hike from your room, etc. I would suggest trying to get a room in the John Muir Lodge - more affordable and more food options than in SNP. The two parks are about 40 min away - lots of winding roads. You could do both in one day, but if your fellow travelers do not hike, then just decide if you want to see the sequoias in SNP or take the gorgeous scenic 35 mile drive down into Kings Canyon. Trying to do both in one day is just more than I would want to do. But you'll love the area.

Phoenix, Arizona
2. Re: Need assistance with Kings Canyon and Sequoia NP

Hi,

Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it. What sights do you recommend seeing in each park? My husband and I can do some hiking. (the other two cannot) Your information will really help in planning our trip.

michigan
reviews: 6
3. Re: Need assistance with Kings Canyon and Sequoia NP

In SNP - all four of you could easily take the 1/2 mile Grant Grove paved walk through the sequoias - it's spectacular. Then at the other end of the parking lot, there is a trail called the North loop. If you can't find it - just ask at the visitor center - the ranger will tell you. It is mostly descending the first half and then of course, uphill on the way back. But it is SO beautiful and there will be no noisy crowds at all.

In Kings Canyon - at the bottom of the scenic drive, there was our favorite easy 2 mile hike - Zumholdt Meadow trail. Simply fabulous - looking up at the canyon walls and the lovely meadows. Go as early in the day as possible - all four of you can drive in the car and there is a nice sitting/picnic area where the two other folks can sit and look out. It was one of our favorite hikes in SEKI and Yosemite. I am 60 and my husband is 70 with a new hip and partial knee replacement - but all of these hikes were doable for us.

I would think twice about staying at Wukshachi - nice, but lots of inconvenient walking back and forth. But if you're only there for one night, I guess it won't matter. The dining room there has very good food - not cheap, but very good.

I did write a trip report on our days in Yosemite this morning - if you wanted to check that out. We had a fabulous time. The report is on the Yosemite forum.

Phoenix, Arizona
4. Re: Need assistance with Kings Canyon and Sequoia NP

You have been so informative. Thank you again for taking the time to help me out. Much appreciated.

Las Vegas, Nevada
reviews: 47
5. Re: Need assistance with Kings Canyon and Sequoia NP

The simple answer is no. You can not do both parks in a day and not be totally exhausted. Each park deserves a day. You have been given some good info/ideas of what to see. Be sure when in Sequoia that you use the shuttle as much as possible.

In one dayin SNP you can hit The Sherman Tree and walk in that area. Visit the Muesum and walk Round Meadow.Walk Cresent Meadow lop and see Tharps Log. Go to Moro Rock and walk as far as you can. Views are super no matter how far up you go.Crystal Cave is a wonderful place to visit but it is a steep walk back up to parking lot. If you decide to visit, get tickets early as they do go fast. 3:00 tour is good as it gives you time to do the rest of park first. Just know you need to be in the car heading to the Cave and hour and 15 minutes before your tour time.

Kings C day stop and see the Grant tree and the trees in that area. Head down into the Canyon, stopping at Grizzly Falls. Grizzly is the perfect spot for a picnic lunch. Than head on to Roaring River Falls and Zumwalt Meadow.

americansouthwest.net/california/kings_canyo…

I disagree about staying at Wukshachi Lodge. It is the most convient place to stay if seeing both parks. Rooms are not fancy but nice. Dining room is a bit expensive, but food is alright. There is also a deli at Lodgepole where you can pick up picnic food for lunches.Or a snack bar that has pizza and burgers. Breakfast there is cheap and tasty

Have a wonderful trip

Phoenix, Arizona
6. Re: Need assistance with Kings Canyon and Sequoia NP

Thank you so much for your help. We did make the decision to stay two nights in Sequoia/Kings. We booked at the Wukshachi Lodge and got the last room available. Guess it was meant to be for us. We are so looking forward to this trip. Your tips will assist us greatly.

7. Re: Need assistance with Kings Canyon and Sequoia NP

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:17 pm, June 20, 2013