We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I Came...I Saw... Now, I have a Trip Report

Which Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
MISSOURI
reviews: 59
I Came...I Saw... Now, I have a Trip Report

This is a on-going trip report, with it begining in San Francisco and then Monterey / Carmel....all under the sam title in each Forum.

We made it in from Monterey the night before and drove from Cambria to Three Rivers, we was thinking of staying in Visalia but, we dont mind driving and we still had plenty of day light left so we just decided to stay in Three Rivers at the Comfort Inn ($137) we got there about 7:45pm. We did stop in Visalia and eat at the KFC and then on to Three Rivers. We checked in and had a relaxing evening!

Up early and wanted to get a good start on our Sequoia Day, well that was put to a hault by NO WATER PRESSURE....none, it was just a trickle and so when my husband called all they said was "Sorry, only have one pump" it was a generic Sorry, and pretty much hung up in his ear. Now, I know things can happen and things do stop working but spending a little more time and a little more apologetic would have been nice, 137 a nite for a room you would expect a hot shower. And its just the way they handled it, they were almost rude and NO Employees were around anywhere, they just had a basket on the counter for you to put your key in, it was like they were hiding. I just didnt like that. Other than haveing to take a sponge bath and not washing my hair and having to wear a hat for the day, we was ready to get on the road and drive the short distance to the park.

We was on the road by 7:30 and paid our 20 bucks to get in the park and pretty much seen all the highlites...we did a few hikes and took lots of phots's and just couldn't believe how HUGH these trees are, AMAZING!! We even seen a bear in the meadow, he hung around for about 10-15 min just munching on whatever he was eating and then he took one last look around and ran up into the woods. WOW WOW WOW really cool to see that!! We also climbed the Moro Rock, oh my goodness. So many steps, but wow, what a view. And going down was sooo much easier!! We did use the shuttle that was running since it was a Sunday and let them just take us around and we would get off where ever we wanted.

We really enjoyed Sequoia and it wasnt crowded at all, we had snacks in our backpacks so we would just stop where ever we wanted and take a break! We left there about 3pm and didn't really do the Kings Canyon part, we did go see the General Grant Tree and took the "must do" photo's!! Really, really liked this part of our road trip.

It was a great day about 84* and sunny, and we enjoyed seeing the sun since the last few days had been kinda gloomy!!

We decided to make it to Mariposa and find a hotel there, our next stop is Yosemite.

The next part of the trip report will be in the Yosemite forum under the same title!!

San Diego...
reviews: 29
1. Re: I Came...I Saw... Now, I have a Trip Report

You should write a letter to the upper management of the Comfort Inn chain.

Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tempe
reviews: 69
2. Re: I Came...I Saw... Now, I have a Trip Report

And definitely post a review!

Edited: 8:05 pm, June 11, 2012
MISSOURI
3. Re: I Came...I Saw... Now, I have a Trip Report

I was ready to talk to the Manager when we went down for breakfast and to check out, but like I said there was NO ONE to be found.

I will definitely write a review!!

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
reviews: 35
4. Re: I Came...I Saw... Now, I have a Trip Report

I enjoyed all your reports, CMOTO. We are coming to the area next month and are planning many of the same things you saw.

Write that review of the Comfort Inn, but please, also contact corporate. I have contacted corporate headquarters in many situations (not just travel, but retail and car rentals as well), and I have ALWAYS gotten a good response. They may very well offer you some kind of compensation, plus it lets them know if a location might be having some management issues.

Back to your trip...Did you happen to eat inside the park, and if so, where did you choose?

MISSOURI
5. Re: I Came...I Saw... Now, I have a Trip Report

slrtravelplan.....No, we did not eat in the park. We had beef jerky and trail mix and water along with granola bars so we just munched on that and then when we headed towards Yosemite we stopped at Mariposa and stayed at the Miner's Hotel and ate at a little bar called Gold Coin, we had a few beers and cheeseburgers($38). It was just down the street from the hotel.

This hotel was SOOO much better than Comfort Inn in Three Rivers, they had a hot tub and it was a nice way to relax that evening!!

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
reviews: 35
6. Re: I Came...I Saw... Now, I have a Trip Report

Thanks for responding CMOTO. We are staying inside the park at Wuksachi Lodge in order to avoid the travel time from Three Rivers. The roads are pretty windy, I hear. We were just wondering how the food was inside the park, as I am hearing it's a bit expensive. Quality seems a mixed bag. I will have to check the map to see if we are passing through Mariposa on our way into Yosemite. We are staying at the Yosemite View Lodge in El Portal.

Thanks for the info!!

Minneapolis...
reviews: 348
7. Re: I Came...I Saw... Now, I have a Trip Report

Thanks for posting. I am currently planning a similar trip and reading yours gave me a couple of ideas.

reviews: 709
8. Re: I Came...I Saw... Now, I have a Trip Report

Nice report! I have heard great things about The Wuksachi Lodge! :)

9. Re: I Came...I Saw... Now, I have a Trip Report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, July 03, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Sequoia and Kings...