We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is the tent cabins in Grant Grove Village like?

Which Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
reviews: 5
What is the tent cabins in Grant Grove Village like?

Hi, I'm planning to go to Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park this summer (2012). I chose to stay at the "Tent Cabin" (the very basic cabin w/a canvas tarp on the roof -- NOT Rastic Cabin or Camp Cabin) to experience the feeling of camping inside the park without bringing our own tent or RV.

Here is some information that I have read from reviews. Please correct or update the information below. Also please add any information you may want to share;

1. The TENT cabin (again, NOT the rastic or camp cabin) has no electricity.

2. Bedding is provided. (No sleeping bags required.)

3. A Battery operated lantern will be provided upon arrival.

4. Towels are available at the shower rooms.

5. Bathrooms have flush toilets.

6. Protect food from mice and bears.

7. Bring your own flushlights.

8. No creeks or rivers to play around this facility.

Here are some questions I would like to ask;

1. Can we park our car next to the tent cabin, or do we have to park our car away from the cabin?

2. Are we allowed to cook right outside of the tent cabin? (Is there a fire ring available for each property or are there any fire rings at the facilities?)

3. Are there any places we can entertain our kids WITHIN Grant Grove Village?

4. Are there any camp fire sites at the facilities?

5. Should I bring bug(mosquito) spray?

6. Are we allowed to use candles inside the tent cabin?

7. Are there any recommended supplies for this stay?

8. Were food prices reasonable at the restaurant in the village? (What kind of food offered, and how much were they?)

9. Are there shampoo and body soap (gel) available in the shower rooms?

10. Is there enough toilet paper, hand soap and paper towels in the bathrooms?

If any, please upload your photos inside and outside of the tent cabin!

Thank you so much in advance!

So Cal
reviews: 64
1. Re: What is the tent cabins in Grant Grove Village like?

Hi,

I stayed in a tent cabin most recently in 2010. Loved it! But it is a little rough. I would be surprised if any of this has changed, but you might want to confirm with the concessionaire.

1. No. You can park close to your cabin to load & unload, but then you need to move your car to the lot. No big deal, it's not far at all. ***BTW, take anything with any scent out of your car! Bears will think it's food.

2. There are no fire rings, but we did see others cooking on camp stoves at the picnic tables (each cabin has a picnic table & benches). Wish we'd brought ours!

3. Not sure what you mean by "entertain". What do your kids like to do? There are ranger programs at the amphitheatre near the campgound across the road - maybe a 5min drive or 10-15min walk - and those are very kid friendly. (Check the schedule.) There's a small visitors center (the one in Lodgepole and the museum at Giant Forest are bigger); if they're doing the Junior Ranger program, they can get their books stamped etc. There are some trails nearby (e.g. Panorama Point), and of course Grant Grove is only about 5min drive or 10-15min walk. It's a nice peaceful area to just walk around in the morning and evening.

4. No camp fires at the cabins.

5. Absolutely! You'll use it somewhere. Also more sunscreen than you might think. I also spray down the cabin before unpacking (some might consider that extreme, though). Consider a citronella candle or similar if you're going to sit outside.

6. Don't know, but I don't think I would risk it. Those cabins are tinder boxes. Do bring extra lamp-style flashlights - the one they'll give you doesn't provide nearly enough room light.

7. Oh yes! Broom; Lysol; doormat; folding chairs for outside (lots of stars to enjoy!); your own breakfast & lunch supplies, as park food is meh, and dinner supplies if you have a camp stove; buy the hiking trail maps sold at the visitor center/gift store; shower shoes; bath towel, so you can use theirs for a mat while changing. Extra lamps and flashlights as noted above. Games or something for the evening. Change for the payphone if you need to call home (no cell signal). Something to cover any coolers you leave in the cabin while you're out.

8. Food is priced as at any tourist area in the middle of nowhere. The quality is pretty low, though - read the reviews. Menu (dinner - I haven't had bkfst or lunch) is a mix of standard diner fare (burgers, basic steak) and more ambitious items (chicken piccata w/ saffron rice, some eggplant thing), but none of it really hits the mark. A burger was the best thing I had. Service was mostly bad - friendly, but bad. ***The little pizza place attached to it is pretty good, though. It uses the same kitchen, so go figure! The tv is usually set to some...game...somewhere.

That said, they're probably new employees each year, so you might strike gold!

There's a coffee cart outside the gift shop, or you can go around the corner to the market. The market also has microwaves for any food you purchase there. And a decent selection of ice cream treats. :-)

The restaurant at Wuksachi Lodge (Lodgepole area) is apparently better, and a lot pricier. There are fast food lunch counters at Lodgepole and Cedar Grove, and a reservations-required restaurant at Stoney Creek. Montecito Sequoia used to have a public restaurant, but I don't know if that's still the case.

9. Sorry, don't remember but I don't think so. Also, I've heard conflicting reports about whether or not they're charging extra for showers now (they didn't used to); I would contact them about that.

10. Yes. Also, there are electrical outlets in the bathrooms.

Sorry, I don't have any pics to share. The photos on TA are pretty accurate, though. Mostly they're of the rustic or camp cabins, but the interiors are pretty similar.

Los Angeles...
reviews: 5
2. Re: What is the tent cabins in Grant Grove Village like?

Thank you so much for such detailed answers!! You answered more than I expected and everything was useful. Our trip went so well because of your advice and tips. We absolutely had a great time there!

--I should add the answer to my own question #9-- There was no soap in the shower rooms. Use of the shower room was still free when we were there in summer 2012.

--If anyone who has to cancel your bookings at Grant Grove Village, be sure to call them @(866)522-6966. Online cancelation would not finalize your cancelation! (In 2012)

San Francisco...
reviews: 109
3. Re: What is the tent cabins in Grant Grove Village like?

Thanks for following up. This is useful info.

So Cal
reviews: 64
4. Re: What is the tent cabins in Grant Grove Village like?

Good feedback, yeah. Glad you enjoyed it!

5. Re: What is the tent cabins in Grant Grove Village like?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, January 17, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Sequoia and Kings...