We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cedar grove lodge vs Grants Grove cabins

Which Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
san leandro
reviews: 15
Cedar grove lodge vs Grants Grove cabins

We are a family of four (two boys ages 11 and 12) and are planning to visit Sequoia this summer. We're driving down from the Bay Area for a 5 night stay. I've booked three nights of camping at Lodgepole. We'd like to end the trip with two nights in a hotel or cabin. I've looked at both Cedar Grove Lodge and Grants Gove Cabin. Both get mixed reviews, which is fine. I can understand there not going to be the fanciest of accomodations. But, the price works for us - and we really don't need anything to upscale.. The location of the Cedar Grove Lodge sounds really nice, but the outdoor space (for our two boys) for the cabins sounds appealing too. I'm still not clear on which one is closer to sites we may want to see. Does anyone have a recommendation?

Monterey, California
reviews: 22
1. Re: Cedar grove lodge vs Grants Grove cabins

Grant Grove is in and near the Sequoias of King's Canyon Park at the same elevation as Wuksachi.

It would be totally different down in the canyon itself in Cedar Grove. You are on the King's River in a valley similiar to Yosemite. Hiking along the river or to waterfalls and meadows can be done in the canyon. You can rent horses or even take bicycles with you since it is flat enough if you are up for it. You can also stop at Boyce Caverns on the way into the canyon.

Edited: 10:22 am, March 20, 2012
Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
reviews: 87
2. Re: Cedar grove lodge vs Grants Grove cabins

Hard decision. But, last time we were there, we got pretty excited about staying in the Canyon itself (so Cedar Grove). There were so many trails, most of them affording a lot of solitude, and it is a lot like Yosemite in terms of hiking beauty. (At Road's End there are several trailheads worth exploring).

Chattanooga...
3. Re: Cedar grove lodge vs Grants Grove cabins

MICE!!!! Grants Grove Rustic Cabins

My wife and I stayed at the rustic cabins, after camping in our tents for four nights at Yosemite's Wawona campground in early June. We just wanted a warm bed to stay in for one night. The cabins appeared nice as described with heat and a couple of beds. A covered porch with outdoor fireplace and a propane heater.

That night my wife noticed a mouse scampering across the floor I check under everything it appeared to be gone. After finally calming her down we went to bed. The next morning there was mouse droppings on everything our beds, towels, luggage, everywhere. We went to talk to the people at the lodge reservations area that morning. They told us that we were in the rodents backyard, it was to be expected.

Just something you should know before checking in. The rest of the days we went back to the tents(in the real rodents backyards) campgrounds in the woods with no mice invasion or excrement problems.

San Francisco...
reviews: 109
4. Re: Cedar grove lodge vs Grants Grove cabins

we were faced with same decision. Chose to stay in cedar grove. Didnt want to have to drive in and out of the canyon same day. Also campground was very close by so the boys could have campfire and smores with option to camp again while our girls could stay in the lodge. Fun just hanging around the river and hiking. I figured i could explore grants grove area on the way in and out. Which i did. Cedar grove had a snack bar but no restaurant. We brought our food to grill ... they have some grills and picnic tables right by the river. Of couse now i wonder if i should have stayed at grant grove because the cabins looked nicer. But i'm happy with my decision. I guess for you it depends on how much time you want to spend in kings canyon itself.

5. Re: Cedar grove lodge vs Grants Grove cabins

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:19 pm, December 14, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Sequoia and Kings...