We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Francisco & Sequois

Which Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Erie, Pennsylvania
reviews: 60
San Francisco & Sequois

Couple planning a trip to CA in mid-June for approximately 1 week. Mainly to see the giant Sequoia trees.

The plan is to fly-in to the San Franciso area, get transport into the city, stay a night or two, do a bus tour.

Then, rent a car and drive out to Sequoia National park/ monument/ Kings canyon.

Decided on Sequois Nat park/Kings canyon because reviews have made it sound nicer and less crowded than Yosemite.

I'm getting the impression that its a huge area! I had originally planned to stay in one place in the park but it seems that we should travel through, staying in different areas.

So, looking for itinerary suggestions.

1. Where to stay in San Franciso- under $200?

2. Good bus tours for San Fran

3. Should we travel through the Sequoi park, staying at different lodging? Where? Cabins/cottages are our first choice, rustic lodging or reasonably priced motels if necessay but not actual camping

4. Suggestions for "must sees" in the area? We are healthy but not athletes and I was affected by the altitude at the Grand Canyon, so mild/moderate hikes

5. And while we're at it- suggestions to avoid/stay safe from bears!

No. California
reviews: 18
1. Re: San Francisco & Sequois

Regarding bears...the national park guide will provide you with guidelines, follow them and you should be ok.

Must sees- The large groves are worth seeing. Also take part of a day and go for a walk off the General Sherman tree area. The park rangers in the HQ can suggest a walk tht will suit your skill and fitness. By getting a bit away from the corwds you'll really experience the ganduer of the trees.

There are two caves - one in Kings Canyon the other Sequoia. Both are good but you'll only need to see one. I tend to like Mercer Caves but the other is good and may be easier navigate.

I suggest staying at one place. You'll have a car so no need to move lodging. I always stay inside the park.

reviews: 14
2. Re: San Francisco & Sequois

You may want to post some of your queries on the San Francisco board. Also, tool around on the hotel side of the site for SF.

This thread on city bus tours may be helpful to get you started thinking:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60713-i30-k355964…

And this may help you think about location in the city for your hotel:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60713-c2838/San-Fran…

Fisherman's Wharf will be a little higher for what you get.

Fresno, California
3. Re: San Francisco & Sequois

There are 2 caves open for public tours in Sequoia/Kings Canyon.

In Sequoia there is Crystal Cave.

In Kings Canyon there is Boyden Cavern.

Mercer Caverns is near Murphys in the Gold Country, not south in Sequoia.

New York City, New...
reviews: 7
4. Re: San Francisco & Sequois

There are plenty of easy hikes in Sequoia NP. Giant Forest has plenty of interconnecting trails so you can do hikes of almost any length through the giant trees. Crescent Meadow is a good place to start, and is not as crowded as the General Sherman/Congress Trail area on the other side of the grove. Moro Rock (400 foot steep climb to views, very crowded) is on the road back to Crescent Meadow. There are four or five different hiking brochures with great maps available for $2, each for a different area of the park. Hikes out of Lodgepole/Wolverton might be more than you want to do (most involve climbing a couple of thousand feet), but Giant Forest and Grant Grove have lots of fairly flat short hikes.

Erie, Pennsylvania
5. Re: San Francisco & Sequois

Thank you for your suggestions!

Erie, Pennsylvania
6. Re: San Francisco & Sequois

Should we make the extra drive up to King's canyon for the scenery? Looks like we could stop at Boyden cave on the way and see some falls.

7. Re: San Francisco & Sequois

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 pm, August 25, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Sequoia and Kings...