We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Olympical National Park Vacation then to Vancouver

Which Olympic National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Saint Louis...
Olympical National Park Vacation then to Vancouver

We will be in Seatle for a wedding this summer and hope to make it over to ONP for 4 days then up to Vancouver for a couple more. I've been looking at some things to do in ONP and find Ruby beach, Hurricane ridge,Riolto beach, Hoh rain forest and the Olympica national forest

all places I want to visit. If there are others that are better I'd love to know about them. My husband and I are in our 40s and have two boys ages 12 and 13. We love the outdoor hiking (easy to moderate) and site seeing. Any thoughts on an itinerary? We'll be renting a car. I haven't thought much about Vancouver so any tips would be appreciated. Also, tips on where to stay along the way throughout ONP is helpful. Clearly I need help.... thanks.

12 replies to this topic
seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
reviews: 83
1. Re: Olympical National Park Vacation then to Vancouver

may I suggest you take the ferry from Pt Angeles to Vancouver Island and visit Victoria? Very nice and it avoids backtracking and dealing with the border as the ship customs is much easier to navigate then the hwy crossing. There is an hourly ferry to Vanc from Vanc Island. Spend at least one nite in Victoria then head to Vancouver.

Suggest you look at the British Columbia forum for a list of things suggested to do. Have fun it could be a nice trip.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
reviews: 4
2. Re: Olympical National Park Vacation then to Vancouver

I would be happy to help you, but it would really help us if you read other posts on Olympic National Park and our recommendations. There are so many options. Port Angeles Hurricane Ridge and Lake Crescent in the North; Forks the Ocean Beaches and the Hoh Rainforest on the Westside; and Lake Quinault and the Quinault Rainforest in the SW. Google Quinault Rainforest and Forks Chamber of Commerce for some ideas. What is your budget for accommodations and what kind are you looking for.

Saint Louis...
3. Re: Olympical National Park Vacation then to Vancouver

we do one nice vacation a year so we are willing to spend money on accomodations. we'll be heading out of seatlle on a monday and heading south around ONP and up to vancouver. How much time should we allow for the destinations I cited earlier. is 4 days enough time in the park to truly enjoy those locations? recommendations on accomdations would be highly appreciated. Seems like everything books pretty far in advance out there that time of year.

Saint Louis...
4. Re: Olympical National Park Vacation then to Vancouver

great suggestion. any suggestions on where to stay in victoria? something that WOWs would be great!....

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
reviews: 4
5. Re: Olympical National Park Vacation then to Vancouver

For starters you need to decide how much time you want to spend in the woods, on the Ocean or the mountains. I could give you an itinerary suggesting two nights at Lake Quinault exploring its rainforest. Terrific Lodge with a good restaurant or a lovely rental with a view of the mountains. Then Forks to explore a couple of the Parks best wild beaches and the Hoh Rainforest. To visit both locations takes time and how long you spend in the area depends on how much time you want to spend in each location. Forks is pretty charmless and has only one café that I recommend having meals at. If you stay there I recommend getting a place where you can cook.

If you want to spend time in the mountains then the Northern section of the Park is where you want stay. This is where you have access to the Sol Duc Valley, beautiful Lake Crescent and the mountains around Hurricane Ridge.

I can not comment on the Canadian part of your trip since I do not know where you are flying out of and how much time you have set aside for Canada and getting there.

You can see a lot in four days depending on how much of the time you want to spend hiking. You are going to want to stay in two locations. Most visitors would probably pick Forks and the Port Angeles area.

For Forks I would look at Huckelberry Lodge, Cabins at Beaver Creek or Quilleyute River Resort. If you can get a reservation, my first choice for the Port Angeles area would be Lake Crescent Lodge. Great location. Otherwise you are going to want to stay in Port Angeles.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
reviews: 83
6. Re: Olympical National Park Vacation then to Vancouver

Ilove the Royal Scot in downtown Victoria. Right in the midst of everythigng

Saint Louis...
7. Re: Olympical National Park Vacation then to Vancouver

we would leave seattle monday morning around 8am and head to ONP. could be sooner given our brains will all be on CST time. we'd like to spend monday through Wednesday enjoying as many sites and hikes as we can get in. I would figure 3 - 4 hours to visit the beaches, the forests, and do a few simple to moderate hikes. We may have time thursday morning to do something short. Is this enought time?

we plan to head over to canada on thursday and spend thursday - saturday in canada.

Thanks for your help.

Saint Louis...
8. Re: Olympical National Park Vacation then to Vancouver

thanks for the tip. is the ferry from Pt Angeles to Victoria a passenger ferry only?

andhow easy is it to get from victoria to vancouver?

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
reviews: 3
9. Re: Olympical National Park Vacation then to Vancouver

No, the PA-Victoria ferry is a car ferry as well.

Fortaleza, CE
reviews: 335
10. Re: Olympical National Park Vacation then to Vancouver

We spent 3 nights at the Lake Quinault Lodge last summer and wished we'd had more. We explored the local area, and took a day to see nearby beaches and the Hoh Rainforest area.

Here's info on the Black Ball Ferry https://cohoferry.com/ I've heard that crossing can be rougher than others in the area (e.g., San Juan Islands or Victoria-Vancouver), as it is on fairly open water, but have no firsthand experience. From near Victoria, you can take a Washington State ferry through the San Juan Islands to Anacortes. You'd bypass Vancouver, however. You could also skip Canada, drive to Anacortes and go to one or more of the San Juan Islands for a night or more (with or without your car).

Edited: 1:44 pm, February 06, 2014
Reply to: Olympical National Park Vacation then to Vancouver
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted