We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to either Sol Duc or Hoh river trail

Which Olympic National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
Getting to either Sol Duc or Hoh river trail

Still trying to figure out options to get to either Sol Duc or Hoh. So here goes the question for the area experts: since both roads leading to those areas are closed miles before trailheads, I had and idea if it would be possible to rent bikes to ride to the trailheads, then hide them somewhere and get on a trail. From Sol Duc to access the Seven Lakes Basin and High Divide, and from Hoh to the Blue Glacier. I realize it's an unconventional solution but please bear with me, think about it, is it doable? Can we rent bikes somewhere? Both itineraries would be multi-day hikes obviously but we are strong experienced hikers. Judging from latest weather reports there will be a lot of snow on some of the chosen trails, that's ok but do you think we'd need crampons, ice axes? Unlikely but doesn't hurt to ask. Also, not that I don't like wildlife but with no people inside the park I'm pretty sure it's got more active. I have a bit of a concern about possible encounters. Thanks a lot, appreciate the input!

21 replies to this topic
Houston, Texas
21. Re: Getting to either Sol Duc or Hoh river trail

I did, thank you, glaciermeadows, but when we got back from the Shi and found out the park had opened, there was no other choice for us but Hoh! I was expecting hoards of elk, I'm certain now it must have been my vocal talents that scared them off. I loooved Glacier Meadows, whoever said it wasn't much and Elk Lake camp was better was wrong, I wish I knew that in advance, I would've planned for us to camp there for sure. The 12.4 mile campsite was nice and all but the surrounding area was way too wet and dark, and like I said - spooky in the eve, I had this irrational fear feeling with the dead quiet dark forest around, my imagination was going wild)). Thank you, kaleberg, for the kind words. I'll share a link to some pics from the trip once I consolidate them from all the photo-making devices we had on us.

Reply to: Getting to either Sol Duc or Hoh river trail
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted