We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Port Angeles to Portland - suggested itinerary?

Which Olympic National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
California
reviews: 312
Driving from Port Angeles to Portland - suggested itinerary?

We are going to be coming in from the Victoria ferry to Port Angeles on a Sunday morning. We would like to spend some time in the Olympic National Park, but no more than 1 night, as we must be back in Portland. We will be traveling with 1 teen on crutches. Any suggestions?

Also - how realistic is it to drive from Port Angeles to Portland in 4 hours? We are willing to stop, visit interpretive centers etc, but hiking is really going to be tough for her and we are only willing to leave her for 2 hours at most. Any ideas?

8 replies to this topic
Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
reviews: 5
1. Re: Driving from Port Angeles to Portland - suggested itinerary?

You can not get to Portland from PA in 4 hours. If you want to get closer to Portland consider Lake Quinault for the night. On the way you could stop at Madison Creek Falls a little ways up the Elwha River Road. The walk to the falls is short on a paved trail. Then you could stop along Lake Crescent for a view. Also stop at Rialto Beach for short visit to a beach you can drive to. At Lake Quinault there are a few lovely walks you could do into the rainforest. If you do not mind driving on a gravel road you can drive a loop along the North and South Shore roads through rainfores and past waterfalls. Lake Quinault Lodge is awonderful place to stay. The Lakeside rooms have a ramp to get up to the rooms.

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
reviews: 4
2. Re: Driving from Port Angeles to Portland - suggested itinerary?

Glacier is so right that you cannot get to Portland from Port Angeles in anywhere near 4 hours. I don't know what GoogleMaps is thinking. It's 230 miles, and you cannot average 60 or anywhere near 60. It is more likely to take at least 5 hours. Monday is a truly horrible day to drive that route, too. I did it and was hemmed in by trucks for hours. If you possibly can, skip ONP and drive to Portland on Sunday. It is so much easier and even faster.

Your poor teen cannot enjoy hiking, and ONP is not a scenic drive through. Most of the road runs outside of the park and well away from the beautiful ocean, rain forests, and mountains.

Dallas, Oregon
reviews: 255
3. Re: Driving from Port Angeles to Portland - suggested itinerary?

We drive from our timeshare on Hwy 101 between Port Townsend and Sequim to our home west of Salem in 4 hours. Most of the drive is interstate or good highway. Only the section around the Hood Canal is a bit slow, but we more than make that up from Shelton, WA to Salem, OR.

California
4. Re: Driving from Port Angeles to Portland - suggested itinerary?

Thank you so much for your suggestions regarding the Lodge, route and hiking.

California
5. Re: Driving from Port Angeles to Portland - suggested itinerary?

Do you know how long it would take us to drive from Port Angeles to Lake Quinault Lodge? We are taking the 3 p.m. ferry out of Victoria to Port Angeles and thinking we must spend the night in Port Angeles or somewhere on route rather than drive to Lake Qunault Lodge directly.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
6. Re: Driving from Port Angeles to Portland - suggested itinerary?

I am not going to get into a discussion of traffic delays along this route. I just live here. To answer your question figure an an hour and a half to two hours from Port Angeles to Lake Quinault. Just remember that much of the drive is on a dark isolated road if you are driving in the dark. Not sure when you are doing this drive.

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
reviews: 4
7. Re: Driving from Port Angeles to Portland - suggested itinerary?

I live in Port Angeles. The last time I drove to Lake Quinault Lodge, it took over three hours.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
8. Re: Driving from Port Angeles to Portland - suggested itinerary?

Sorry I meant to say 2 to 2.5 hours. Two is not very accurate, but it has never taken me 3 hrs.

Reply to: Driving from Port Angeles to Portland - suggested itinerary?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Olympic National Park