We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

This year's precipitation?

San Francisco...
reviews: 24
This year's precipitation?

Does anyone know what the precipitation is like in Mount Rainier and Olympic NPs this year? My understanding is that wildflowers depend on precipitation and debating between if we should visit in early June (I am assuming snow would have melted and trails will be open by then, is it a safe assumption?) or wait until late July to see the wildflower display.

5 replies to this topic
Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
reviews: 3
1. Re: This year's precipitation?

Too early to accurately pick how soon trails will open and wildflowers are out at this point, but it's rarely as early as early June.

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
reviews: 5
2. Re: This year's precipitation?

Early June is way too early, especially for Mt. Rainier. It is also way too early to predict precipitation levels for 2014, which is less than 2 months old, with snowy February less than half finished, and March still ahead. There is no way to predict the peak of wildflower season, and, in any case, it will be occur at different times in ONP and Mt. Rainier.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
reviews: 4
3. Re: This year's precipitation?

Even in drier years at Rainier you will not see wildflowers until late July. They will be at higher elevations where the snowpack needs to melt away. I go to Rainier for the wildflowers every year. You need to come in Summer, which doesn't start until July.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
4. Re: This year's precipitation?

If memory serves there was still five feet or so of snow on the ground at Paradise on the 4th of July last year.

San Francisco...
reviews: 24
5. Re: This year's precipitation?

Thanks for the replies. I'll wait few more months then.

Reply to: This year's precipitation?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Mount Rainier National...