We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kilauea Iki Trail, hikeable during rain? traveling Jan 7

norman, ok
reviews: 10
Kilauea Iki Trail, hikeable during rain? traveling Jan 7

Traveling to Hawaii Jan 6, with plans to hike Kilauea Iki Trail Jan 7. Weather forecasts are showing a lot of rain. With the type of rain Hilo and VNP area gets, will this be okay to plan? Or is there a high probability that it will be a no-go? Have a lot of experience hiking. Don't mind hiking in some rain---but constant downpours, no.

If too much rain--other good suggestions? Would going further up the coast towards Waipo Valley get us out of rain?

Orange County, CA
reviews: 27
1. Re: Kilauea Iki Trail, hikeable during rain? traveling Jan 7

Although Hilo gets a rainy everyday forecast, Volcano looks dry that day, so you may luck out.

www.weather.com/weather/tenday/USHI0086

Hilo, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
reviews: 4
2. Re: Kilauea Iki Trail, hikeable during rain? traveling Jan 7

Any forecast that far out is not accurate. The forecast the day before may not be right as far as whether it will rain, although the chances of rain are fairly accurate. That's island weather for you. Wait and see.

Sometimes Hamakua is drier but sometime it's not.

The six week streak of unrelenting rain seems to have broken as of Christmas Day. We are getting intermittent sunshine now.

California
reviews: 9
3. Re: Kilauea Iki Trail, hikeable during rain? traveling Jan 7

I just hiked the Kilauea Iki trail this morning. It was raining on and off the whole time but it was very doable. I am used to hiking/walking and it was not a strenuous or difficult hike for me. Definitely wearing hiking shoes helps as it is muddy in areas. I had a waterproof lightweight jacket and would have been unpleasantly wet without it but there were times when I took it off because it was too warm when the rain stopped. The visitors center was packed with people but on the trail I only saw 6-8 others. Actually started with the iliahi (also called the Sandelwood) trail and it loops into the Kilauea Iki trail. Both together took a couple of hours of moderate walking.

norman, ok
reviews: 10
4. Re: Kilauea Iki Trail, hikeable during rain? traveling Jan 7

Thanks for your post. How long did the hike take you?

5. Re: Kilauea Iki Trail, hikeable during rain? traveling Jan 7

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:22 am, February 08, 2013